Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Thawing tips

Old 01-05-2009, 08:28 PM

Default Thawing tips

I have meat in the freezer thats been there since the day i shot it, 11-8-08. Can i thaw that meat the same as beef, or is there a certain way to thaw it?

BTW im usin it for jerky, and im using PreacherTony's recipe http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=2170596
Old 01-05-2009, 09:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Thawing tips

I just put it in a tub and let it sit out over night and do what ever to it the next day.
Old 01-05-2009, 11:05 PM
Typical Buck

Ilet my frozen meat thaw out in the fridge for two or three days (I keep my fridge pretty cold).
Old 01-06-2009, 05:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Keep it in the fridge, as mentioned above by "country1", for 1-2 days.
OR
For quick thawing put the meat in a bath of cold water. This will probably take a few hours.

Hint ~ If your using a knife for slicing the steaks into jerky strips, only let it thaw 1/3 of the way.
This keeps the meat in a "firm block", and will make it easier to slice 1/8" thick strips.

Old 01-06-2009, 07:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Edcyclopedia

Keep it in the fridge, as mentioned above by "country1", for 1-2 days.
OR
For quick thawing put the meat in a bath of cold water. This will probably take a few hours.

Hint ~ If your using a knife for slicing the steaks into jerky strips, only let it thaw 1/3 of the way.
This keeps the meat in a "firm block", and will make it easier to slice 1/8" thick strips.
Exactly!! Good point made.
Old 01-06-2009, 07:01 PM
Spike

when i thaw my meat i put it in a tub of water room temp and let is sit a couple hours then i usually put it in a large pot and put it in the sink and then fill the pot and leave the water on once it is full this cause's the pot to overflow. the overflow brings any left over fur/hair to the surface and it overflows out of the pot and therefore it is not on the meat. not that there ever really is alot of fur/hair left on the meat after skinning but there usually is some that sticks to the meat. this is just something i have made a habit of and i guess it can be usefull. i let it overflow about 2-5 mins. and then prepare however for cooking