Community
Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

jerky question

Old 12-09-2003, 09:09 AM

Default RE: jerky question

what is this insta cure stuff your talking about?
Old 12-09-2003, 01:42 PM

Insta Cure or Prague Powder #1 as it is also known is a proportionate measure of salt and nitrite regulated by the FDA and USDA and is necessary to help prevent food poisoning. This used in curing sausage an is not abosolutly nessesary to make jerky but it is a preventative measure and will allow the jerky to have a longer shelflife.

The jerseyhunter provided a link to The Sausage Maker who cares Insta Cure #1 and below is another link that carries the same thing calling it Prague Powder #1.

Eldon's Sausage
Old 12-09-2003, 05:27 PM

maybe im wrong but i was under the impresion that by using insta cure you can process the meat with low heat. i didnt know it had any thing to do with shelf life. live and learn.
Old 01-06-2004, 10:19 AM

if yall don't mind,what is your your recipe for the marinades you use for jerky,I use garlic salt-onion salt-soy sauce-woichester sauce-honey-lowerys season salt-black pepper-crushed red pepper.
Old 01-06-2004, 10:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

The only beneift I have found to using frozen meat(older venision) for jerky is it tends to be more tender and doesn't take as long to cook. As such I have started to bag my jerky cuts into portions for a making session in meat safe plastic bags. However I still make jerky off fresh kills, so I really don't think it is required.

Cure salts the meat for preservation, it will also add a salty taste, so bare that in mind when making up your merinades.

I have been using dry merinades both homebrew and store bought (Hi-mountain in mesquite or hickory is very well liked around my place) for the past couple of years. It makes for a drier jerky but the flavouring is equal, cook time is faster & clean up much nicer.
Old 01-06-2004, 04:30 PM
Fork Horn

You can also use Mortons tender quick instead of prague powder. It has the sodium nitrate and sodium nitrite for curing meat and killing any parasites.