Community
Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

Jerky question

Old 10-06-2008, 09:51 AM
Fork Horn

Default Jerky question

I've made jerky many times using venison steaks and roasts. Using my dehydrator. I have a bunch of venison sausage left over from lastseason. Can I use this venison sausage to make jerky???????????I know jerkycan be made from ground venison, but what about using ground venison sausage, which has added pork and fat included????? Please advise......

Old 10-06-2008, 12:39 PM
Spike

Default RE: Jerky question

I'm not sure if this will help or not. My brother-in-law was trying to make Jerky one time and he didn't have any venison so he went to the grocery store and got the leanest beef that he could find. He then tried to make Jerky with the Beef. He said that the beef was too fatty and it had the fat raising to the top of it he would then pat it dry but he said after he got done making it it was horrible.

I guess the only way to know is to try it but that is what he told me.

Jeff
Old 10-06-2008, 02:05 PM
Fork Horn

Jeff,
Thanks for the input. I always thought you were to only use the leanest of meats to make jerky. But I have read of people using ground venison to make jerky. Is ground venison made without the adding of fat??? So if this is true, my venison sauage will make better gravy, then jerky.

Old 10-06-2008, 05:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

I wouldn't even try it. You do not want any fat in your jerky. Just eat the sausage as is. If it's no good as sausage it is definately no good for jerky, you want to use the freshest and best available.
Old 10-06-2008, 05:09 PM
Fork Horn

This is somewhat related to your question, I made lots and lots of jerky out of moose burger last winter and My wife and I loved it but when I ran out of moose I did try a batch with lean beef burger and we didn't like it at all. and it was quite a bit more fat than the moose..Rodney
Old 10-06-2008, 06:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Most sausage is 30% fat or moreand would not make good jerky. Just ground venison, no fat added would be ok. Beef, I like to use eye of round for jerky or round steaks
Old 10-07-2008, 08:37 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks to everybody for chimeing in. All great info. I'll use thesausage as it was intended to be used. I'll have to find me a lean mean DO, during archery season to make some more jerky.

Good luck to everyone during this upcoming season.

Stay safe.

djt