Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

Venison Ham!!!!

Old 11-21-2003, 09:26 PM
Typical Buck

Default Venison Ham!!!!

Ha sanyone else ever had a hind quarter smoke dlike a ham?

I tell you what if you have not done so you are missing another wya to enjoy your harvest.

I had two hind quarters smoked and cured.....it will make your mouth water.[]

I sevred the one ham for easter last year with my extended family...big risk... but they loved it.

I kinda regret doing it, everybody wants some now!! They think this stuff just walks into my freezer!!

Any way I do enjoy sharing my harvest.. I guess that is what it is all about.

Just FYI, I had the other sliced into ham steaks......they go great with Au Grautin potatoes.. Also they go good with two over easy and a side of toast. It is just another great way to eat venision........the other RED meat[][:-][8D]
Old 11-22-2003, 04:28 AM

Default RE: Venison Ham!!!!

I smoke sasuage;but never a venison ham.sounds good;how did you do it,or did you send it out to have it done?
I have a small smoke house,would like to try it.[:-]
Old 11-22-2003, 10:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

Don' t just brag about it , how about some recipies? Sure would appreciate the one on smoking the ham. Thank you in advance.
Old 11-24-2003, 06:39 AM

KIDD:

How much like pork ham is it? ie: is it tender like pork ham? I would dearly love to find a venison recipe that my wife would eat. Did you do it yourself or take it to a meat processor?
Old 12-13-2003, 05:43 PM

guess Kidd doesn't want to share his harvest info with us.[&o]
Old 12-14-2003, 06:38 PM
Boone & Crockett

I had a couple Bear hind quarters smoked for ham. they were great. I sent mine out but a friend of mine does his own. I will find out how he does it and get back to you.
Old 12-14-2003, 06:52 PM
Boone & Crockett

Found this doing a search. This is about how he did it. check out

www.waltonfeed.com/old/brine.html
Old 12-15-2003, 06:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

A buddy and I have smoked several of our venison hams. Just using one of those little grill/smokers that are popular right now. It did the trick in about 6 hours. We didn't do anything special, we just used some seasoning and put it in the smoker. Anyone can do it.
Beware, when done to the proper temp the venison will APPEAR very rare inside, especially right after it is done. Don't worry it is safe to eat. Put it in the fridge for a day and most of that rare apearance will go away. My favorite way to eat it is to thinly slice it and use it for sandwiches. It lasts a lot longer that way.
Old 12-15-2003, 07:42 AM

James thanks for the site. There's some interesting reading through out it, and the links. I always love reading about the pioneers. Man they were some kind of breed, to live without the amenities we have today, Sometimes I envy those days and sometimes I am glad I live inthe present. And like they say necessity is the mother of invention.
Old 12-17-2003, 06:18 PM
Boone & Crockett

I remember when my folks and grandfolks still used the smokehouse all the time. Grandma had about twenty of those big glass pickle crocks in the root cellar. Some with picles and picleled fish and Hams in brine waiting to go to the smokehouse. We didn't have electricity in the rural Dakotas until I was about ten. We had a delco plant that charged batteries for some light but mostly we used fuel oil lanterns and lamps. I remember by folks crowded right up to the fuel oil lamp trying to read. I enjoyed those old days except the outhouse when it was twenty below zero. You learned to go fast and how to sit on your hands.

Quick Reply: Venison Ham!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.