Community
Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

Venison Ham!!!!

Old 01-03-2004, 11:10 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Venison Ham!!!!

I smoke venison hams all the time and it is real easy;
Mix a brine by taking 2 gallons of water and bring to a boil.
Add 2 cups Mortons tender quick and 2 cups brown sugar.
After all is disolved allow bring to cool.
Using a cajun injector, pump about 8 oz. of the brine on all sides of the leg bone and in the thickest part of the muscle.
Set ham in crock or stainless kettle and cover with brine.
Allow to sit in fridge or cool place(32-38 deg. f.) for two to three weeks repositioning the meat every 2-3 days.
Smoke in a smoker or grill using apple, cherry or any hardwood-fruitwood chunks or chips until internal temp reaches 145-155 degrees. The slower the better to prevent drying out.
This compares to any of the best pork hams you will ever have and is a huge favorite with my friends and family.
I tried to post a picture of my smokehouse but keep getting "file to large"message
Old 01-03-2004, 03:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

Thank You very much as the next deer harvested will be made this way. Can you give me an idea what temp to smoke at and about how long the process should take from the time it goes into the smoker. I have an electric smoker and can regulate the temp. pretty precisely. Thank you once again.
Old 01-03-2004, 05:33 PM
Fork Horn

I would run it about 120 for an hour and get it good and smokey and then turn up to about 175-200 for 3 hours and 225-250 until done. If done right it will smoke for about 8-10 hours. Don't be afraid to use a meat thermometer and adjust your final temp and cooking time accordingly. Just make sure the internal temp hits 145-155. or you will have to cook it again before serving and that could cause it to dry out. Believe me, it is best after it cools so it pays to cook it in the smoker the first try. It will be very pink when done but that is just how cured meat looks. Best to use the thermometer.
Old 01-03-2004, 08:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

Thank you once again.