Community
Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

What to do with the squirrels?

Old 05-12-2023, 10:39 AM
Spike

Default What to do with the squirrels?

Hi, I’m completely new to hunting. Im going to start small in a few months when squirrel hunting is allowed. My question is what to do with the squirrels? I dont eat much meat and im not sure I want to do taxidermy.
Old 05-12-2023, 03:34 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Penguin
Hi, I’m completely new to hunting. Im going to start small in a few months when squirrel hunting is allowed. My question is what to do with the squirrels? I dont eat much meat and im not sure I want to do taxidermy.
If you are not going to eat them don't kill them, wildlife are not targets. Squirrels are good to eat. Skin them, cut them into six pieces. the 4 legs and the body cut in half for the loins. Cut the ribs off at the top of the body.. Par boil the pieces with salt in the water and an onion quarted and a piece of celery and a carrot. when you can pass a cooking fork through the thigh easily remove them from the water and shake the pieces in a bag of flour, salt and pepper and fry in bacon fat and a little olive oil until brown and crispy. They will be crisp,on the outside and white and moist in the center.
Old 05-13-2023, 01:48 PM
Super Moderator

And delicious.

Don't forget delicious.

-Jake
Old 05-14-2023, 03:40 AM
Boone & Crockett

Nope, can't do that.
Old 09-12-2023, 05:38 AM
Spike

Are u guys really eat squirrels?
Old 09-12-2023, 06:19 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Gingerbell
Are u guys really eat squirrels?
Of course, there is no other raational reason to hunt them.
Old 09-12-2023, 07:10 PM
Typical Buck

squirrel pot pie is hard to beat. my mum used to make it every fall when my older brother would bring home a bunch of them. we would skin them and mum would soak them in salt water over night then boil them in salt water until the meat was tender. she would strip all the meat off the bone and mix it with mixed vegetables and make a gravy. she made pie dough for the bottom and put the meat and vegy mixture in the cake pan she used added the gravy and covered that with the top crust and bake it until done. some of the best eating you can have.