Community
Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

Sausage gravy

Old 02-09-2023, 08:22 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default Sausage gravy

I love sausage gravy over raw fried potatoes or biscuts. I sometimes don't have breakfast sausage in the freezer so I make my own breakfast sausage out of fresh sausage by adding the proper herbs and spices as follows.JIMMY DEAN BREAKFAST SAUSAGE PATTY INGREDIENTS
  • 16 ounces ground pork
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • ¼ teaspoon dried sage
  • ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
  • ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper
  • ¼ teaspoon ground coriander
  • ¼ teaspoon Accent All Natural Flavor Enhancer (optional)
  • 2 tablespoon vegetable oil
This is a recipe that is supposed to mirror Jimmy Deans breakfast sausage. I really like the flavor. To make, pit the bulk fresh or countty sausage in a large bowl and flatted out put about a thirs of the spices on top and fold over and mix well by squeezing and folding repeat two more times until all the spices is used up. once thourly mixed shape the sausage in to a ball and put in the fridge for a coupler of hours to all the spices to permeate the meat. For this who don't know what raw fried potatoes are, it is the same as home fries except you do not boil to potatoe slices first before you fry them and you add onion slicess that are separated into individual rings to your taste. I also like to make sure the potatoes have lots of potato slices that are fried crisp by only truning them over a few times to allow the ones on the bottom of the frying pan to crisp up. For those who don't know to make sausage gravy it is as follows:
Put oil in a frying pan and heat on high until the sausage sizzles when put in the pan. How much oil depends on how fatty your ground pork is, a rule of thum is if you user same measure of flour in the pan as the oil. If you use 3 tbl spoons of oil, use 3 tbl soppns of flour.. You need enough oil so there is enough to mix with the flour. When the meat is put in the pan turn your heat back to medium. Using a hard spatula keep moving the susage and chopping it apart untill you have very small lumps of the meat. When the meat starts to brown, do not burn it spead flour over the top of the meat and stir until the flour is absorped. you my have to turn bach the heat a bit so the flour doesn't burn. If there appears to be oil that has not been absorped add more flour a little at a time and keep moving and trunin ovrt the meat and flour. The flour must be heated so the gravy does't tast floury. After the flour is absopped, turn the heay back to med and add milk about a cup at a time and keep the sausahe moving in the pan as the milk thickens, continue to add milk and stir until the gravy thickens to your satisfaction, it it get too thick add more milk and stir some more. I like my gravy thick but not so thick that you just have a blob in the pan, you want the gravy to run some when it hits the potatoes and covers them. I like to grind a lot of black pepper into the gravy about half way through the thickening process. Use pepper to your taste, I like a lot. Then put the fries potatoes on your plates and cover with gravy and enjoy. This is a stick to your ribs meal that stays with you on a cold day. I made this last night for dinner. I like breakfast for dinner once in a while. Enjoy!!

Last edited by Oldtimr; 02-09-2023 at 08:26 AM.
Old 05-30-2023, 08:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

you cannot get too much pepper in gravy, I also top my gravy bread/hotcakes/taters with diced raw onion.