Community
Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

Best recipe for deer heart

Old 11-19-2021, 08:31 AM
Spike

Default Best recipe for deer heart

Somewhere I had deer heart cooked whole (double boiler?) and sliced after a long day of slow cooking. It was awesome. I can not find any recipes for doing it this way. Anyone out there know of this? If not what's the best way to eat deer hear?
Old 11-19-2021, 01:12 PM
Typical Buck

I like my deer hearts stuffed with lead.......
Old 11-19-2021, 05:09 PM
Super Moderator

I like to clean everything off of it.... Get every piece of fat, all that stuff inside(I don't know what is called but it has a different texture) then slice it thin and cook it fast and hot in butter.

Or clean it, slice it, and cook it down slow with whatever pot roast type stuff you want carrots taters onions etc.

I've never done one whole but if you come across the recipe let us know
-Jake
Old 11-20-2021, 04:06 AM
Boone & Crockett

I can't eat heart, It just isn't good for me.
Old 11-20-2021, 01:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

I trim it well and slice it into rings, toss it with seasoned flour and then fry it up. One of the best parts of an animal and always the first piece I eat, usually the same day I take the animal.
Old 11-21-2021, 08:56 AM
Dominant Buck

I used to do it the same way but I no longer eat any organ meat on doctor's orders. I will admit though it was pretty tasty.
Old 11-21-2021, 09:36 AM
Fork Horn

We always put the heart and liver in a bucket of ice water to flush them out. We would cook them the next morning searing them in olive oil with onions , peppers and mushrooms, seasoned with just a touch of garlic powder onion powder and oregano . Absolutely Fabulous ! The heart we would slice in 1/4 inch slices and the liver in 1/2 inch slices .

Originally Posted by Champlain Islander
I used to do it the same way but I no longer eat any organ meat on doctor's orders. I will admit though it was pretty tasty.
just curious C I , what did the Doc claim was bad about eating the heart and the liver ? I've heard more reasons to not eat the liver , but I'm still not convinced and thinking its a bunch of hearsay . You read one article and it tells you of all the good nutrients in both the heart and liver . Then you see another article claiming its the worst thing in the world . We always ate both and they were delicious .

Last edited by SportsmanNH; 11-21-2021 at 09:38 AM.
Old 11-21-2021, 11:37 AM
Boone & Crockett

actually, since the heart and liver are no longer pumping blood, you don't flush them out by putting them in cold water.
Old 11-21-2021, 01:33 PM
Dominant Buck

Heart doctor suggested that. I really didn't question that since I hate liver and kidneys. Not eating the heart wasn't that big a thing to give up. Think it had something to do with high cholesterol but not sure.
Old 11-22-2021, 01:19 AM
Spike

The best recipe is matar paneer.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.