Community
Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

Cooking Waterfowl

Old 08-22-2020, 08:25 AM
Fork Horn

Default Cooking Waterfowl

Duck and Goose opens October 19th here in Idaho.

I would like an opinion on how I cook Waterfowl.

I also posted this on BackyardChickens forum, keep in mind.

Here’s how I cook duck or goose. I always cook it at 355°F. Then, I weigh the animal. Duck or goose, the time calculation is the same.

For example, a duck I bought at the store is 6.5 pounds. Convert that to kilograms. It sounds weird, but it’s an effective method I discovered. Trust me.

That comes to 2.94835 kg.

Cook it for 30 minutes per kilogram. Now the math. 2.94835×30 is equal to about 88.45 minutes. That is one hour and 28 minutes. More math. Take 60, divide it by 100, then multiply it by the decimal in the number. In this case, 0.45.

That equals 27.

So, you cook the duck at 355°F for one hour 28 minutes and 27 seconds.

This also works if you are using a goose. The weight is what you really need to know.

I know, it’s a weird way of cooking waterfowl, but it works. Every time I cooked with this method, it comes out perfectly.

I forgot to add, make sure that you poke holes in the skin all over the water fowl so the fat can render out.

I would like to know if there can be any improvements for this recipe I came up with. The only drawback is the skin isn’t crispy.

Any improvements?

Jared
Old 08-24-2020, 06:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

I will never pluck another goose or turkey in my life. Done one of each. It is too much work for me. I breast my waterfowl and turkey for that matter.

Waterfowl breasts are soaked in salt water to remove as much blood as possible. Duck breasts wrapped in bacon then grilled. Goose breasts cut into pieces, breaded and fried. No math necessary.
Old 08-24-2020, 08:50 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by rogerstv
I will never pluck another goose or turkey in my life. Done one of each. It is too much work for me. I breast my waterfowl and turkey for that matter.

Waterfowl breasts are soaked in salt water to remove as much blood as possible. Duck breasts wrapped in bacon then grilled. Goose breasts cut into pieces, breaded and fried. No math necessary.
you know, I actually do the same thing. I only pluck the bird and do it whole if it’s for a special occasion, like Thanksgiving.
Old 08-26-2020, 03:47 AM
Fork Horn

I pluck duck breasts and cut across the bottom of the breast bone and cut with shears up the ribs. Then flip it up and cut it out at the top. Later I smoke them for several hours.

Geese are pretty strong flavored to the point most people will not eat them. I make what I call Easy Pastrami from them and use it in scrambled eggs with green pepper and olive oil. I have never in my life tasted any meat change so much for the better when cured as goose does.
Old 06-19-2021, 08:31 PM
Spike

Yes this one tastes really good, I love it.