Community
Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

Your Best Venison Jerky Recipe

Old 11-13-2017, 04:56 PM
Super Moderator

Default Your Best Venison Jerky Recipe

In a dehydrator?

I'm just getting started on dehydrating and working a jerky recipe up. So far, I've gone through about 10 #'s of venison so far. Any tips, recipes, etc.?
Old 11-14-2017, 06:46 AM
Super Moderator

use sliced meat and try the backwoods jerky seasonings. its pretty darn good. for beef jerky I like the "high mountain seasoning" but it didn't do the venison justice in my opinion.

don't forget to trim as much silver lining and fat off as you can.

Last edited by kellyguinn; 12-07-2017 at 04:26 AM.
Old 11-14-2017, 06:51 AM
Boone & Crockett

I slice my meat into 1/4" thick pieces about 1" or so wide. I have a very simple recipe which is 1/4 black pepper and 3/4 fine sea salt. To that mixture I add a bit of garlic powder for more flavor. If you want it a bit more spicy add in some red pepper.
When I use ground meat I use the High Mountain original jerky seasoning.
I always vacuum pack my jerky putting 15 - 20 pieces per bag.
Old 11-23-2017, 05:38 PM
Typical Buck

I myself prefer using ground venison and a jerky gun. A lot easier on the teeth.
Old 12-05-2017, 09:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by flyinlowe
I myself prefer using ground venison and a jerky gun. A lot easier on the teeth.
Although I have had some decent sliced deer jerky, I agree with you. Not enough fat in venison for my jerky palette which admittedly is not gourmet quality.

I use NESCO spices. Four packets original and one hot-and-spicy to five pounds of ground meat.
Old 12-06-2017, 06:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

I use whatever spices I have on hand so every batch is a little different. I slice it about 1/4 inch thick, make sure all the fat is removed and marinate it for at least overnight and let the dehydrator do its work. I've also done it in the oven on the lowest setting with the door cracked a little so moisture can escape. Either way works but the dehydrator is pretty much turn on and forget.
Old 12-07-2017, 03:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

A while back I tried a pre-mix product called Mountain Hi and have stuck with it. Very easy to use, a dry rub (as opposed to messy teriyaki recipes) and makes delicious jerky. I'm the opposite of the posts above as I much prefer the lean whole-muscle jerky. How long you dry it for (not too much) and how you cut the meat can make it a lot more tooth-friendly. And the less fat in the mix the more shelf stable as it is the fat that can go off.
Old 12-07-2017, 07:43 AM
Fork Horn

Before making jerky you need to read up on the "grain" of the muscle and which direction it runs. Look at you bicep and the grain runs the length of it, so to slice a muscle like it, you slice across it. If you slice length wise you could loosen teeth trying to bit it apart. Texture can make or ruin the jerky depending on how you slice it. The direction a muscle contracts is the direction the grain runs. You can see it when cutting it you look, just like wood fibers. long strands or little circular bits. All your steaks cut my butchers are across the grain as it is easier to eat.

If making your own recipe and marinating it, if the meat is an old one, like a big buck, make sure it has cider vinegar in some percentage. This help break down the tissue to make it easier to eat.

I have always preferred making my own recipes or differing to the wife.

Used on 3 or 4 pounds maybe, adjust to your liking.
1/3 cup sugar 1/4 cup salt
2 cups soy sauce 1 cup water
1 cup red wine 1/2 tsp. onion powder
1/2 tsp.pepper 1/2 tsp.garlic powder
1/2 tsp. tabasco sauce

Its it a young one and eat a good diet, just put some rub on it and dehydrate.

Last edited by archeryrob; 12-07-2017 at 07:45 AM.