Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

Deer Bologna recipes

Old 10-15-2017, 04:37 AM
Fork Horn

[QUOTE=Headline Outdoors;4318305]This is my breakfast sausage recipe.....makes 3 pounds of mild breakfast sausage

Ingredients:

2 1/4 pounds Deer Meat
3/4 pounds Pork Fat Back
2 teaspoons Salt
1 ½ teaspoons Pepper
1 teaspoon Ground Sage
1 teaspoon Ground Thyme
½ teaspoon Rosemary Leaves
1 tablespoon Brown Sugar
½ teaspoon Grated Nutmeg
½ teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
½ teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes

sounds like a great recipe..very similar to my wifes..i will say for about the first 20 to 25 yrs of sausage making i thought i just had to have fat...for the last 20 -25 yrs i have eliminated the fat and just cooked w/canola oil or whatever oil it's just as good..
Old 10-15-2017, 10:35 PM
Spike

[QUOTE=davidg;4318316]
Originally Posted by Headline Outdoors
This is my breakfast sausage recipe.....makes 3 pounds of mild breakfast sausage

Ingredients:

2 1/4 pounds Deer Meat
3/4 pounds Pork Fat Back
2 teaspoons Salt
1 ½ teaspoons Pepper
1 teaspoon Ground Sage
1 teaspoon Ground Thyme
½ teaspoon Rosemary Leaves
1 tablespoon Brown Sugar
½ teaspoon Grated Nutmeg
½ teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
½ teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes

sounds like a great recipe..very similar to my wifes..i will say for about the first 20 to 25 yrs of sausage making i thought i just had to have fat...for the last 20 -25 yrs i have eliminated the fat and just cooked w/canola oil or whatever oil it's just as good..
When butchering my deer, I trim all the deer fat off. So your sausage needs fat, and I find fat back does a great job for me. My burger I use bacon for the fat. I mean come on, who doesn't like a nice burger covered in bacon? Or bacon alone for that matter? haha Which I must say home made bacon is like night and day compared to store bought bacon.
Old 10-16-2017, 02:24 PM
Spike

Thanks guys for the breakfast sausage recipes. Looking forward to trying them.
Old 11-09-2017, 04:25 AM
Fork Horn

This is a free recipe I tried and its not bad. It is a starting point for making your own. My wife made a Lebanon Bologna that I am not allowed to share under pain of death, or so I was told. BUT this is a place for you to start.

I like mixing 5# of deer with 5# of 73% beef. That gives me about a 14% fat content and makes nice bologna. Don't get it too hot and render out the fat or it will be greasy outside and dry inside.