Community
Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

Canned deer

Old 10-19-2003, 07:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Canned deer

A couple days ago I had some canned venison it was the best.. A friend of mine prepared it, He packed in it mason jars , dry, put a tablespoon of salt on top of it. sealed the jars and put it in cold water , brought it to a boil and bioled it for three hours, then put it away for later use.. All sounds simple enough....
Old 10-20-2003, 11:47 AM

Default RE: Canned deer

put a garlic clove and shot of hot sauce in it and it does wounders.we eat it all the time,saves room in the freezer.
Old 10-20-2003, 08:49 PM

my mother in law used to can deer meat too. kinda like you do hog meat i guess.
we would take some beef bouilion cubes and cook the deer meat in it then make sandwiches out of it, then add some brown gravy and mashed potatoes. it tasted just like roast beef . very good.
Old 11-04-2003, 01:29 AM
Fork Horn

Question does the mason jar have to be full submersed in the boiling water?? and do you have to turn the jar over after you are done while it cools off....never canned before and would like to

Any help would be great
thanks
Al
Old 11-04-2003, 02:54 PM
Spike

Nicholal, it depends on which type of canning you' re talking about. We call the type where you submerge your jars " cold packing" . The other way would be to use a pressure cooker. This way is faster, but some people are scared of this method. Personaly I use cold packing for things I only want to seal, (jams & jellies)and pressure for the things that need cooked (meats) and sealed. I have a book that came a long with my pressure cooker from MIRROR that gives you all the times. Your other question. Yes you submerge the jar for cold packing, and you also need to set it on a canning ring or set your jars on a towel while in the canner. At these high temperatures the jars become very prone to breaking. Don' t just put them in a large pot, cover and go. The other question. No you don' t turn upside down. Just take them out using one of those jar removal tools (crab claw) when you' re done cooking. They don' t all seal the first time, but if you boil your lids prior, and keep everything clean, you' ll have very good success. Good Luck.
Old 11-08-2003, 05:31 AM
Typical Buck

Cold packing is when you put the ingredients into the jar cold versus boiling, then process. Canning meat should only be done in a pressure cooker . A boiling water bath is not hot enough to kill botulism spores no mater how long you boil it. You could get deadly sick from improperly preserved foods. Get a pressure canner and read the instruction book.
Old 11-24-2003, 12:02 AM
Boone & Crockett

We have been cold pack canning meat for years. Many years. Never had a problem. Pressure cooker is faster though.
Old 12-09-2003, 01:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

We pressure cook the deer. Takes about 45 min on 10 -13 pounds of pressure.
Old 01-05-2004, 10:34 PM

my mom makes canned deer.. it was good. She said it was really easy.. she put some beef boullion in it and just cook it..

I was suprised to hear that it was simple and fast way to cook a meal!