Community
Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

canned venison

Old 11-19-2007, 05:52 PM

Default canned venison

Could someone explain to me how to can venison ? I would like to can some and have no idea where to start . Thanks
Old 11-19-2007, 06:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: canned venison

dont know the process other than stuff em full, add water, and boil the jar..

but do know its awesome eating...weather its with gravy and noodles or on BBQ sandwhiches..man is it good stuff...my buddy takes some to camp every year with us...his mom does everything but stuff the jars he said...

PS...every jar hes cracked open stunk a little more than anything else ive ever ate lol...he says thats normal...i usually have to go outside till it warms up a bit lol..
Old 11-19-2007, 08:41 PM
Typical Buck

You need to use a pressure canner!!!! You cannot just boil it and be safe.
Cut meat into chunks, pack in jars, top up with broth of your choice. set lids and pressure cook as per jar size and manufactures recomendations

Here is my broth recipe.
MEAT CANNING BROTH[/b]
[/b]
[/b]
[/b]
[/b]
· 5 CUPS WATER[/b]
· 5 BEEF BOVRIL(LOW SODIUM)[/b]
· 3 OR 4 CRUSHED GARLIC CLOVES[/b]
· 1 TBSP WORCHESTERSHIRE SAUCE[/b]
· 3 TSP PICKLING SALT[/b]
· 1 TBSP MARJORAM[/b]
· I TBSP HOT CHILIS[/b]
· 1 TSP GROUND FENNEL[/b]
[/b]
[/b]
FILLS 6 500 ML MASON JARS [/b]

Old 11-25-2007, 03:48 PM

Agreeing with Big_Guy01: Extremely unsafe in a water bath. Gotta pressure can it, which if you know how to do, is easier than a water bath, I think. We can beef all the time. Delicious, and add a little flour and its got an instant gravy when you dump it out of the jar to eat.
Old 11-26-2007, 03:08 PM
Fork Horn

Get a Ball canning guide it is a must. Or if you buy a new canner like a Presto it should have a sufficient book. I use well trimmed meat and do not add any broth the juice comes from the meat. All I add is a touch of salt.My jars are always full of liquid when done. You should use a safe canner and follow the instructions. You need to keep things clean and sterile and never leave a canner unattended. You can eat it right out of the jar but one of my favorites is heating it up with a can of mushroom gravy and serving over rice or noodles. I learned from my Grandma years ago and do some every year. If you have any specific questions after you get a guide feel free to ask.
Old 11-26-2007, 08:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

I also just pack meat in jar, add canning salt, and can in old style canner in water on stove. It turns out great with plenty of water from the juices from the meat in the jar! Turns out great, I have to heat up to eat but some people just eat straight from the jar![:'(]
Old 11-27-2007, 04:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

I copied these from here years ago.

1. Debone meat from deer and remove all fat, skin, etc you don't want to eat.
2. Cut meat into 1" squares.
3. Put un-cooked meat into quart size canning jars.
4. Add 1 t-spoon of salt on top of the meat.
(This is all you have to add. Everything else is to taste.)
5. Add seal and screw on lid and tighten.
6. Put in pressure cooker.
7. Add water to cover 3/4 of the jar(s) in the cooker.
8. Put lid on cooker and secure into place.
9. Cook until the pressure is at 10 -15lbs. No less than 10 no more than 15.
10. Once pressure reaches this, keep it there for 45 minutes.
11. Let pressure drop and cooker cool.
12. Take out the jars and make sure they are sealed. Discard unsealed jars.
**Make sure jars are not cold before this. As long as they are at room temp. they will not bust.

The meat is good for 3 years now. Once you cook it you will be amazed at the amout of juice that is in the jar

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I cut the deer into cubes about 1 1/2 inches square but it doesnt really matter what the shape is. I then pack the raw meat into pint jars and press the meat down tight.

I sprinkle 1/2 teaspoon of salt onto the meat and place the lid and ring on the jar

I live 1100 feet above sea level so I pressure cook mine at 15 psi If you are under 1000 feet above sea level you can use 10 psi. I cook it for 75 minutes.

then remove the canning kettle from the heat and let it sit for five min. I then run it under cold water until the pressure is normalized. Thats it.

Canned meat has a long shelf life and requires no freezing. It is a good way to use an old tough deer as pressure cooking tenderizes the meat. It tastes great. I add a couple of cans of meat to a pot of gravy and fork it apart and then serve it over potatos or rice or noodles. If you want to flavor the meat. You can add BBQ sauce to the can before pressure cooking.

Old 11-27-2007, 04:25 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: WesternMdHardwoods

I also just pack meat in jar, add canning salt, and can in old style canner in water on stove. It turns out great with plenty of water from the juices from the meat in the jar! Turns out great, I have to heat up to eat but some people just eat straight from the jar![:'(]
Sorry to say what you are doing is dangerous. You could poison yourself or your whole family. spend a few dollars and get a pressure canner. Much cheaper than a coffin!!!
Old 11-27-2007, 06:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am not sure what you mean by dangerous?? The canner I use is from my grandparents, they canned meat every year for as long as I can remember and even before then. I am not sure what is so dangerous about it(curious?), I mean all is well so far??
Old 11-27-2007, 09:08 PM
Typical Buck

Is your canner a pressure canner? or is it just a water bath? A water bath cannot achieve a high enough temperature to kill botulism spores.that is the dangerous part. If you have been eating foods that have not been pressure canned you are playing russian roulette.

Quick Reply: canned venison

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.