Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

Crock pot coyote.

Old 05-04-2014, 03:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Well said red green. In Europe horse is on many a menu also.
What cracks me up is those people who eat deer, elk and analope and turn their nose up at sheep and goats.

I read where Lewis and Clarks men liked dog better than salmon.

Al
Old 05-05-2014, 10:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hey, Alleyoop, (AKA caveman) (Comics), I have eaten my share of horse. Yhere is an abattoir a couple hours from me that does only horses. Most of it goes to Japan. It's great. I know people that will not touch lamb or goat, but will run over to burger king or micky D's and grab a rat burger. There are lots of people that would rather have a cougar roast than a beef steak. I'm not super big on salmon either. I eat it, but would rather have a walleye or a pike fillet any day. Porcupine is great, coon is great, and we are probably causing some people to lose there eggo waffles and pop tarts right about now. lol The politically correct won't touch anything that is not on the elitist caste social register and consider us crass cavemen. At least, we are well fed cavemen that know what we are eating and harvested it ourselves, rather than hiring an assassin to deliver it to the store for us. Mention eating pigeon, and "OMG" but they will order squab and pay an arm and leg for it. Squab = pigeon.
Old 05-06-2014, 03:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

My daughter called me ally since I can remember. I am also deer camp owner in Michigan's UPPER where they are called Yoopers.

I didn't care for the porkie pine I tried, tasted like the elm tree it came out of.

What I like is how do people start eating stuff if they don't try it and find it good eating.

Al
Old 12-17-2014, 08:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Is it any good without the crockpot? I find that recipes like this one would make a tire edible. We eat ground hog and like it alright.
Old 12-18-2014, 12:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

A crockpot is a wonderful invention. Anything can be cooked in it and come out tender. I like doing ribs in it with apricot jam bbq sauce and minced onion. A little garlic and a touch of cayenne and rosemary makes a tasty feast. I boil them first to remove a bunch of the fat and enjoy about 6 hours later. When you get a few years on you, and your teeth are missing, the more tender the better. Served on a bed of rice, smothered in the sauce makes me happy.
Old 12-18-2014, 12:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by redgreen
A crockpot is a wonderful invention. Anything can be cooked in it and come out tender. I like doing ribs in it with apricot jam bbq sauce and minced onion. A little garlic and a touch of cayenne and rosemary makes a tasty feast. I boil them first to remove a bunch of the fat and enjoy about 6 hours later. When you get a few years on you, and your teeth are missing, the more tender the better. Served on a bed of rice, smothered in the sauce makes me happy.
I prefer the smoker for ribs.
Old 12-19-2014, 08:55 AM
Typical Buck

I'm just going to go ahead and admit my ignorance here- I never thought coyote, a predator, was edible.

I guess it is?

How about fox?

I've never had ground hog, no idea what it tastes like,but whenever I go to my buddy's house which is teeming with them I salivate!
I imagine them as little pigs.
Old 12-19-2014, 09:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by ModernPrimitive
I'm just going to go ahead and admit my ignorance here- I never thought coyote, a predator, was edible.

I guess it is?

How about fox?

I've never had ground hog, no idea what it tastes like,but whenever I go to my buddy's house which is teeming with them I salivate!
I imagine them as little pigs.
More like big squirrels
Old 12-19-2014, 01:28 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by rockport
More like big squirrels
I like squirrel!
Old 12-19-2014, 03:52 PM
Fork Horn

Sweet. I have just started to get into coyote hunting while the deer hunting slows down. We are in our lull phase before the rut kicks of at the end of January. Was wondering what I could do with a coyote I shoot. Looks like I will give this a try.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.