Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

Pressure canner problems

Old 02-18-2013, 04:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Pressure canner problems

I borrowed a canner from the local extension office this past fall to can a deer and then got my own for Christmas. It's a Mirro weighted gauge.

My problem is with the juggler. I know Morris don't jiggle so much as spin and steam, but I can't get mine to release the recommended 4-6 times per minute. It builds up pressure then releases a huge burst of steam and spins like crazy for like upwards of 20 seconds then sits back down for up to a minute.

If at anytime during this time I tap the side of the weight ever so gently on the side, it will blow steam and spin like crazy, so I know it's got enough pressure to keep the ten pound weight spinning, but it's like it's sticking until the pressure builds higher and then releases back down to 10.

I can't seem to get it to release the steam in shorter bursts more often. Adjusting the temp on the stove doesnt help as higher temp just spews for longer periods and lower temp would take longer between bursts.

Any thoughts or experiences?

Sorry for starting a new canning thread, I saw the other one but that was several pages mostly about water levels and hot/raw pack.
Old 02-19-2013, 01:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Turning the heat down doesn't help. In fact running it at a lower temp ends up moving the weight even less often where it could go two minutes without jiggling. But at the lower temp it will still pop up and release steam for 20 to 30 seconds before settling down for a minute or two.

I think what's happening is the weight is sticking just a bit where it takes more than 10 pounds to get it to pop up enough to vent. Then it realeses that extra pressure down to 10, then takes the whole minute to build back up to the higher pressure to lift the weight again.
Old 02-19-2013, 01:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Double post

Last edited by tj_cubin; 02-19-2013 at 01:42 PM. Reason: Double post
Old 02-19-2013, 02:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Three seperate weights, no gauge. It's a Mirro 22qt.
I also vent the steam for 10 minutes before adding the weight.

I'm wondering if the weights are interchangeable, if I got a presto jiggle weight, could it work on a Mirro vent pipe?
Old 02-25-2013, 08:20 AM
Fork Horn

Your fine as long as you keep up your pressure. If its blowing off 1 or 2 times a minute its ok. I would say everything is ok.
Old 02-25-2013, 07:49 PM
Spike

Yes rocking one or two times a minute is fine. Have you had a boil over inside letting juices flow out of a jar? Make sure your exhaust spout and weight are very clean and shiny again. I have the same cooker as yours this stuff from a boil over turns into a varnish and is sticky as all hell when hot. This has almost stopped my rocker from rocking in the past.
I just cleaned it up very well even used some light sandpaper 400 grit to get the shine back and it stopped.

Last edited by GrandpaDave; 02-25-2013 at 08:03 PM.
Old 03-01-2013, 04:18 PM
Typical Buck

I am new to canning. If it were me I would call the company. It is not worth the risk you take by either blowing something up or poisening yourself or somebody else.