Community
Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

Grouse recipes?

Old 11-26-2012, 03:55 PM
Spike

Default Grouse recipes?

I recently bagged several grouse and I am currently looking for a decent recipie. The breasted grouse is about a half pound each and missing the skin from my first plucking job. Does anyone have any good grouse recipes?
Old 11-27-2012, 06:47 AM
Fork Horn

Take breast and place between 2 sheets of wax paper use a knife handle of a small piece of 2x4 to wack the meat until its thinned to half its thickness. This tenderizes and opens the muscle fibers for the seasoning. Sprinkle both sides with Blackening Spice fry in a white hot cast iron skillet with oil for 40 sec on each side. Its best to do this outside on a fish cooker it tends to flame up once in awhile. Have on a toasted bun. Its awsome and very tender. This also works for venison steaks which is better than you can imagine, wild turkey breast chunks and phesant. If you call Ben at 800 762 6689 he can ship out the spice to you mention your a hinting net member and recieve 10% off. Remind him I told you guys also get a free gift with all call in orders, if you ask for it. Mike

Last edited by friscospices.com; 11-27-2012 at 06:50 AM.
Old 11-27-2012, 09:07 AM
Spike

I shot a couple grouse at the deer shack in early October. I kind of made a recipe up that I hadn't tried before, but found the results extremely tasty.

I breasted both grouse and put the breasts in a Dutch Oven with about an inch of chicken broth and a bay leave. I then slow cooked in an oven at about 250 for 3 hours or so. The meat was falling off the bone tender.

I shredded the meat off the bones and put it back into the Dutch oven. I added more broth along with chopped onions, chopped carrots, and chopped celery as well as some minced garlic and fresh rosemary. I simmered on the stove top until the veggies were cooked. As this was simmering, I boiled some wild rice separately and added the rice to the soup after the veggies were done.

I know I'll be doing this again with any grouse I shoot. It seems that it's hard to cook grouse without the meat getting tough and this method of cooking a good way to keep the meat moist and tender.
Old 03-03-2013, 10:54 PM
Spike

No grouse near me in Al, but lots of military guys who were in AK. They say any grouse is great fare, except the Spruce Grouse, which apparantly tastes like a pine tree! All other treat like good chicken/Pheasant recipes. Just discussed this 2 days ago!