Community
Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

Good Pronghorn recipes?

Old 10-13-2011, 05:19 PM
Spike

Default Good Pronghorn recipes?

Howdy all,

I just got my Colorado pronghorn back from the butcher. We made some sloppy joes with the ground burger, and grilled some of the steaks. Both were excellent. I've never cooked wild game myself, was just wondering if you all had any suggestions on how to prepare this stuff.
Old 10-14-2011, 05:15 AM
Fork Horn

Mix 50/50 with some fatty pork and make yourself some Italian sausage. The great thing about Italian sausage is you can use it to make meat balls for spagetti, brown it and use for pizza toppings, make burgers out of it for Italian sausage and mancini pepper sandwich or in eggs for an omelet. We sell 3 different types of blends for this sweet to hot and our best is the Frisco Italian very robust deep flavor.

Last edited by friscospices.com; 10-14-2011 at 09:00 AM.
Old 10-14-2011, 12:50 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by friscospices.com
Mix 50/50 with some fatty pork and make yourself some Italian sausage. The great thing about Italian sausage is you can use it to make meat balls for spagetti, brown it and use for pizza toppings, make burgers out of it for Italian sausage and mancini pepper sandwich or in eggs for an omelet. We sell 3 different types of blends for this sweet to hot and our best is the Frisco Italian very robust deep flavor.
Sounds good! would you recommend mixing fatty pork with antelope burger that's already had 10% beef suet to it?
Old 10-14-2011, 02:32 PM
Fork Horn

I would say if you already have added the 10% suit you have a 90% lean meat may just get some pork butt and grind it in with the burger. If you want to give it a try shoot me an email with your contact info next Monday and I will give you a discount on the seasonings and in return just come back on the blog and let us all know how you enjoyed it. (Make sure when you buy the pork from your local grocery store to ask the butcher if their pork is pumped with saline solution. If so buy it else where pumped pork is not as appealing and a bit more salty when made into sausage. My e-mail is [email protected]
Old 10-16-2011, 06:05 PM
Fork Horn

Jim Zumbo's Amazing Venison Recipes, and Sam and Nancy Fadala's Game Care and Cookery. I have about worn these two books out and my family loves the recipes.
Old 10-16-2011, 07:32 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by newton29
Jim Zumbo's Amazing Venison Recipes, and Sam and Nancy Fadala's Game Care and Cookery. I have about worn these two books out and my family loves the recipes.
Awesome. Thanks for the referal
Old 10-29-2011, 03:56 AM
Fork Horn

Make it the same way you would venison. We generally soak the meat in ice water a couple days before processing to get some of the "sagey" taste out.
Old 10-30-2011, 01:42 PM
Spike

Make it the same way you would venison
I've never cooked venison. We have some venison as well now. I think we are just gonna try replacing beef with antelope and deer burger and see how that goes.