Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Camp Cooking and Game Processing
I need need some input for a future Deer Processing shop >

I need need some input for a future Deer Processing shop

Community
Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

I need need some input for a future Deer Processing shop

Old 01-09-2011, 04:35 PM
Spike

Default I need need some input for a future Deer Processing shop

Hi, I plan on starting up a deer processing plant in Illinois, south of Chicago. Before I do, I want to make sure I will be providing the best possible service for the hunters at the best price. I have some questions that I think will help me set things up and get moving on the right track. If you could answer which ever ones you feel like, any information will be greatly appreciated and I am sure will bay off big in the long run.

When you bring a 100 pound dressed doe into the processing plant, with a clean double lung shot minimizing meat loss, about how much fresh meat (burger, steaks, roasts, etc…) do you get back?

How far are you willing to travel to have your deer processed at a plant that meets your product quality standards?

If you brought in 60 pounds of boned meat, on average, how much of that would you have made into smoked meat (summer sausage, slim jims, jerky, etc…)?

How long does it usually take from the day you hand your deer over to the processor to the day you get the call to pick it up? (please indicate if there was sausage and jerky made)

Do you prefer community batches (all deer are put into one container when boned and separated according to weight) because it is quicker and cheaper, or individual processing because you know you are getting your deer back?

How many deer have you had processed each year for the past three years?

Without going into detail as to where you take your deer for processing, do you have any complaints or praises about your current processor?

Thank you for your time. I hope you will answer these questions as accurately as you can so I can provide the best possible service to the hunters that come to me for processing in the future.
Old 01-09-2011, 04:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

i do my own, but..
60% (60lb)
must be local to where i hunt, i would expect to bring it to you freshly shot, (same day next day). and in return i'd expect to get a cape, all quarters to be ground, 50-50 sausage/ burger, and my backstraps and tender loins whole, or done into jerky upon request.
pick-up? well, i would expect my deer to hang in your cooler til the rigor goes away, then for it to be immediately processed and packaged. raw meat, i say a week er so...all depends on the rigor.
i would want my deer done separate, all clean machines and knives, table, gloves, hell...change out the guy too lol...i dont know how the guy before me took care of his meat...so i dont want anything from his touchin mine, (why i do my own)!!!

before all this, a very ...very very clean environment with all see through walls(glass or whatever) so everyone can see whats goin on in the whole place: yeah, the freezer too would be cool.
and delivery would be nice.
also, be cool if yall did the science as well.
just a thought, what is going to be happenin in this building the other 260 days outta the year, when the seasons closed.
Old 01-10-2011, 07:18 AM
Fork Horn

I do all my own processing of all my wild game, but, the number one thing I hear about processors is "Do I get MY meat back" Many people are very concerned with this, I would be. I take specific animals for meat, I wouldn't want to get someone elses old swamp buck meat back....
Old 01-10-2011, 03:02 PM
Fork Horn

Do what you feel is right.
Old 01-10-2011, 06:27 PM
Typical Buck

I do all my own deer so I haven't thought much about it. One thing I do know is that a local shop has a refrigerated cooler that is available for people to hang theie deer in on weekends, after hours, etc. They get a lot of business that way. Many places aren't open on Sunday's and many hunters don't have a place to hang there own deer. Especially when it's warm. There cooler is actually a refrigerated box trailer. It is a large rail that spins, you tag your deer, hang it up and then come in the next business day to let them know how they want it processed. Convenience will get you a lot of business.
A friend of mine does processing but he doesn't do all the sausage etc. You bring him a deer and he charges $75.00 to skin it and cut it up. He does grind meat but if you want jerky and or sausage he takes it to a local locker and then he picks it back up. He makes a ton of money and can process a lot of deer because he is not spending time dehydrating etc. I can't imagine paying $75.00 to have my deer cut up but he does hundreds every year.
Old 01-11-2011, 07:38 AM
Spike

Halfbaked-

"i do my own, but.....i dont know how the guy before me took care of his meat...so i dont want anything from his touchin mine, (why i do my own)!!!"

-I completely agree with you on this one! I cannot stand the ides of community batches. Its not the way I was raised and definitely not the way I would want my deer processed!

"before all this, a very ...very very clean environment with all see through walls(glass or whatever) so everyone can see whats goin on in the whole place: yeah, the freezer too would be cool.
and delivery would be nice."

- The see through walls is a good idea, but a bit impractical I'm afraid! some people don't want to see this and I plan on adding an outdoor shop as well. How about open policy on tours to anyone that wants to go back? I think that should satisfy everyone.

"also, be cool if yall did the science as well."

-What exactly do you mean by the science?

"just a thought, what is going to be happenin in this building the other 260 days outta the year, when the seasons closed."

-As I said, I plan on running an outdoors shop as well, but eventually I would like to be licensed by the state to do commercial animals as well. My Grandfather owned a meat processing plant, so I definitely have access to the knowledge needed to be successful year around.
Old 01-11-2011, 07:52 AM
Spike

flyinlowe-

"I do all my own deer so I haven't thought much about it. One thing I do know is that a local shop has a refrigerated cooler that is available for people to hang theie deer in on weekends, after hours, etc. They get a lot of business that way. Many places aren't open on Sunday's and many hunters don't have a place to hang there own deer. Especially when it's warm. There cooler is actually a refrigerated box trailer. It is a large rail that spins, you tag your deer, hang it up and then come in the next business day to let them know how they want it processed. Convenience will get you a lot of business."

-I agree with convenience, but there are a couple things I would like to curtail while doing this. The first is the security of the Deer. I know that most hunters would never even think about touching someone's trophy, but I must account for the X-factor. The second is the fact that I am very meticulous when it comes to sanitation. In my experience, many hunters do not know how to or do not have the capability to properly dress and wash a deer for sanitary storage. I plan on having each deer go through a checklist in order to ensure that the quality of meat will not degrade and there will be no unnecessary loss due to improper or incomplete cleaning.
Old 01-11-2011, 11:09 AM
Super Moderator

Alright, I'll answer what I can form my experience. I dont own a shop, but I do cut up a lot of deer for ppl throughout the fall. it's a hobby I guess..

When you bring a 100 pound dressed doe into the processing plant, with a clean double lung shot minimizing meat loss, about how much fresh meat (burger, steaks, roasts, etc…) do you get back?I usually tell people to expect between 50-60 percent of the field dressed weight. It varies a lot though. A fat doe needs a lot of junk trimmed off of it. Sometimes bucks have zero fat on them and not much needs trimmed. Just depends

How far are you willing to travel to have your deer processed at a plant that meets your product quality standards? I'd say most ppl in my area would say 35-40 minutes. But Im from the middle of nowhere. The closest processor to me that takes deer is about 25 miles away.

If you brought in 60 pounds of boned meat, on average, how much of that would you have made into smoked meat (summer sausage, slim jims, jerky, etc…)? I would have 30 lbs done

How long does it usually take from the day you hand your deer over to the processor to the day you get the call to pick it up? (please indicate if there was sausage and jerky made) I only do a few deer every year, so if they are not getting anything smoked I can do it in an evening. Your operation would obviously be different.

Do you prefer community batches (all deer are put into one container when boned and separated according to weight) because it is quicker and cheaper, or individual processing because you know you are getting your deer back? No. No community batches. People want their deer back.

How many deer have you had processed each year for the past three years? I've not had any done but I've done probably twenty or so in the last three years.

Without going into detail as to where you take your deer for processing, do you have any complaints or praises about your current processor?

-Jake
Old 01-12-2011, 04:01 PM
Dominant Buck

I do my own deer but I have had a successful business..and it was successful because I treated all folks extremely fair and charged the lowest fair price possible..and my affairs were governed by the principals of the Word of God..

If one puts God first..God will take of your business...

If i took a deer in ..I would want every morcel of meat off my deer..and I would want it to be my deer.
Old 01-26-2011, 10:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

When you bring a 100 pound dressed doe into the processing plant, with a clean double lung shot minimizing meat loss, about how much fresh meat (burger, steaks, roasts, etc…) do you get back? never taken in a dressed deer

How far are you willing to travel to have your deer processed at a plant that meets your product quality standards? Willing to drive an hour for quality, but closer is better

If you brought in 60 pounds of boned meat, on average, how much of that would you have made into smoked meat (summer sausage, slim jims, jerky, etc…)? all of it.

How long does it usually take from the day you hand your deer over to the processor to the day you get the call to pick it up? (please indicate if there was sausage and jerky made) about 3 weeks. all in sausage and sticks. I do my own jerky. it is the best.... I have always been interested in going into business with it. It has been difficult to find quality USDA inspected venison. I tried farm raised Elk from Pike County. It was too tough to get through 3HP grinder. If interested in trying a sample, PM me and I will make you some.

Do you prefer community batches (all deer are put into one container when boned and separated according to weight) because it is quicker and cheaper, or individual processing because you know you are getting your deer back? As far as ground meat, I don't care whose deer it is. Steaks may be different and somewhat easy to keep separate. If you want your own deer back, do it yourself. There is no way you (the OP) can afford to run a deer processing business and grind/spice/cure every animal separately. I know of a lot of people that want their own deer back. Can you really tell? C'mon? I knew of one guy here in Central IL that does one deer at a time. I was unimpressed with his product. Great concept. Has to be very slow and tedious. A little too large of request for the spiced and cured meat. Do you really expect someone to measure spices for 17.25 pounds then 34.16 pounds, then 150 pounds? Seriously? You should perfect it for say 25, 50, or 100 batches, then set it, and forget it!

How many deer have you had processed each year for the past three years? 2-3 processed by myself. I sometimes take boned meat to the processor for salami and sticks. I can steak, roast, jerk, and grind my own. Stuffing and curing seems to be an art I haven't mastered. I tried once and will always pay for it.

Without going into detail as to where you take your deer for processing, do you have any complaints or praises about your current processor? The processing facility in my hometown was started by a Polish family. Their products were great. The business was sold, but the originator stayed on and taught the buyer "how to". The new place sucked. I attribute it to a lack of quality ingredients and desire. The fat in the slim jims stuck to the roof of my mouth (literally). And, the cheese was spaced way too far apart in the sausage - 3 slices no cheese, 1 slice all cheese (poor mixing I guess). I stayed away for years. After getting some decent tester pieces from friends over the last few years, I recently decided to give him another try. Ingredient quality much better, but overall still sucks. I will never go back and will now drive 30 minutes one way. I only tried for 2nd time because of small hometown plus a buddy of mine is doing the butchering.

Make sure to vacuum seal the product. Plus don't make the sausage log packages too big to eat in a couple sittings.

I've been cutting deer for 25+ years. Been to good ones and bad ones. It is easy to tell the difference in the first bite. One bad experience sends me away usually forever. If you want the names of a couple processors I recommend, let me know. One in Springfield and one in Auburn, IL. Match their products and you will be a hit IMO.