Community
Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

Freezer/ cooler ideas please??

Old 01-10-2002, 01:59 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Freezer/ cooler ideas please??

I live jusst east of you. If it is warm out, quarter it and be done. If really short on time, put it in a bathtub and cover with ice and quarter when you get off work. Hanging it will not make it taste better. No need to build a cooler when you can cut it up in about 15 minutes.
Old 01-11-2002, 05:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Heres What I do. Since I do my own butchering, and it does get pretty warm during the Va bow season, I keep a large cooler handy. I skin the deer, then quater it. Cutting the shoulders, backstraps and rib meat out. Cut out the neck roast, and the the back hams. I leave the bone in, and place all the loose(burger meat) in a stainless steel bowl, I fill the cooler full of ice, and put the rest of the deer with the bowl of burger meat on ice. It will keep for over a week like this, provided you keep ice in the cooler. I keep the drain plug open to keep the meat from soaking in water. I have actualy found that the meat is more tender and flavorful after 3 days in the cooler than when I don't do it. Like you though I would like to build some kind of shed or large cooler to hang deer in with the skin on, just nice to have that option.

TAKE YOUR KIDS HUNTING AND YOU WON'T BE HUNTING FOR YOUR KIDS
Old 01-11-2002, 01:19 PM

This year's gun season was unusually warm here in Ohio. We kept an old fridge in the barn to store stuff and kept out the mice. My buddy had the idea to clean it out and put the quarters in the bottom fridge part and dry ice in the upper freezer chamber. This was and old model with one outer door and an inner door for the freezer compartment. We removed the freezer door and put dry ice in it. We also cut several 2" holes in the bottom of the freezer part to let the cold air drop down to the meat. It worked out great. We ended up with 3 sets of hams and loins and 4 shoulders in that damn thing, but it kept the meat cold for 3 days while we kept on hunting!

Now we're on the lookout for a "free for the hauling" fridge for his place.