Community
Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

field dress of upland birds

Old 10-13-2010, 07:40 AM
Spike

Default field dress of upland birds

I am really new to this forum, and have not waded through all of the strings that this board has.

No doubt most everybody on here knows how to fild dress birds, but I'm a beagler, and have not hunted quail, partridge, etc. before.

I would really like to have recommendations from everyone, as to how to do this. I have to also follow wisconsin DNR regulations on this.

By the way, I'm from central Wisconsin (Wausau area, and hunt mostly on CFL's (county forest lands).

Any of you from this area? I live approx. 5 miles south of Marathon City, Marathon, WI.

van
Old 10-13-2010, 08:01 AM
Spike

well i have hunted ruffed grouse since i was about 10....we have always just pulled the entrails out right when we recovered a bird....feed the heart and liver to the dog and put the bird in your game bag....we always liked to skin the entire bird and stuff them with stuffing...made for a bit of a bigger meal....we would first cut the head off, the wings off at the joint and the legs off at the joint also....then if you just slide your finger under the skin you can just peal the skin and feathers off as one.....best way i have ever cooked them is to take the bird(s) soak in a brine (salt water and some other spices) over night and cook them the next day....
Old 10-17-2010, 07:41 PM
Fork Horn

In SD we need to leave a leg, wing or head on upland game. What we do is just dig in under the feathers and tear the skin and feathers off. Then we cut off the head, wings and one leg. Reach under the breast and tear through the skin and pull out everything from the inside. We wash them up and throw them in bags and put them in the freezer.