Community
Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

Antelope question

Old 05-15-2009, 02:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Antelope question

I'm going on an archery antelope hunt this August. I've heard conflicting reports on the meat from two people I've asked, so I'm asking the HNI gang for their input.

I'm think that the guy who told me "antelopes stink, they have a smell that comes out of their skin and the meat tastes like @$$" didn't take care of it properly. I've seen a few from the road, but have never been around them.

Old 05-16-2009, 09:43 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Antelope question

I have had some really tasty antelope. I'm certain if you have a clean shot, and take care of the meat, it will taste great.
Old 05-16-2009, 11:38 AM
Fork Horn

Hunting in late summer it is VERY important to get that meat cooled down ASAP!!!!!! otherwise it will taste like ass!
Old 06-13-2009, 12:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the info.
Old 06-13-2009, 02:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

If I'm not mistaken, I've heard the reason that some taste off is because they are eating sage. The ones that didn't tasted better.
Old 06-15-2009, 10:13 AM
Spike

My wife and I have been to WY twice with a group of guys we hunt with, in those two trips we shot 14 lopes. We did not have any problems with the meat because we got the hide off ASAP and got them cooled down. We think it is the best game meat you can get. When you take the hide off you do sacrifice some meat to drying while it hangs but it is better than wasting the whole animal.

Enjoy your trip
Old 10-03-2010, 03:01 AM
Spike

In a coupla weeks a group of us are going West for Deer/Elk. One of the fellas has a Goat tag, and NEVER has eaten it before, He asked me if I would cook some while we were out hunting. My reply was as follows:

1. I don't hunt Goats.
2. I don't kill Goats.
3. I don't gut Goats.
4. I don't butcher Goats.
5. I don't cook Goats.
6. Any more questions......

In my opinion, they are the foulest, stinkiest, vermin infected, raunchiest, smelliest critter that God put on this earth. Especially if they have been eating a lot of sage.....
The ONLY way to prepare them is douse them with 5 gallons of used motor oil and place them on a funeral pyre.......... In case you're wondering, I was looking through this forum for a goat recipe so that I could (maybe) prepare a small individual portion for this gentleman............ And it took me 7 pages of recipes on this section of the forum to find anything associated with GOAT.........
Old 10-03-2010, 04:50 AM
Typical Buck

Like stated if the antelop was dressed and handled properly and promply processed they are fine table fare. There can be a very faint sage taste with some but it is faint indeed. Inproper handling of game can ruin anything from birds to big game.
Old 10-03-2010, 06:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

I've never had a rank loper, I'm of the same opinion they are among the finest venison one can harvest. I agree 100% the key is cooling. Yes everyone I have field dressed stinks of sage...not unlike mule deer. However get them gutted, skinned and cooling..iced if need be asap and you'll have no problems. Never gut shot one so can't comment to that happening but assume its like anything else rinse immediately.

In terms of receipe treat or prepare the same as with any venison. One of my merinades is posted on this forum under "venison merinade" post. More often then not I just let my venison stand in a little olive oil/soya mixture with chopped garlic and seasoned to my liking for steak for 30 at room temp. (long enough for me to get the pots, veggies and grill going. Maybe a beer or glass of shiraz down my throat..lol).

Enjoy

Last edited by skeeter 7MM; 10-03-2010 at 07:01 AM.
Old 10-03-2010, 09:55 AM
Spike

I have had goat gutted improperly, gut shot, run over by a truck, stored in a sauna, used all the available ice to cool the beer, retrieved critter the following day, skinned immediately, skinned after aging, and just about anything else that a hunter could do with a goat....AND, I stand by my previous post.

IF posters on this subject stand by their opinion that goat tastes good or just as good as venison MUST have had their taste buds shot off in the war..... IMO........

Quick Reply: Antelope question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.