Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Camp Cooking and Game Processing
Can you share your favorite venison recipes??? >

Can you share your favorite venison recipes???

Community
Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

Can you share your favorite venison recipes???

Old 06-10-2010, 05:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

When I grill my steaks, I like to marinade them in Worcestershire and Franks hot sauce. Then I just grill them like a regular beef steak. Can't over cook them though. MMMMMM GOOD!!!

For stews and roast, I just use any recipe that I would use for beef. Same difference, only better.
Old 07-12-2010, 10:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

Venison Scalopinni
----------------------
1 LBS venison roast, 1/2 cup heavy cream, 2 shallots, chopped 2 tablespoons parsley, flour, 2 tablespoons butter, 2 tablespoons olive oil, 1/4 cup chardonnay dry white wine, teaspoon fresh squeezed lemon juice

1. Slice the roast into thin slices across the grain. Pound the slices out thin (about 1/8" thick, but precision in this is not critical). Preferably pound the meat with a flat metal mallet expressly designed for this purpose (often with a spikey flat side on an opposite head for "tenderizing" meat), or innovate and use something else.

2. Salt and pepper both sides of the slices. Coat in flour.

3. Melt half the butter with half the oil in a heavy stainless steel skillet. Cook the meat in the butter and oil over high heat for about 2 minutes per side. Remove to a warm plate. Add the remainder of the butter and oil. Cook the remainder of the meat, 2 inches per side. Remove to the warm plate with the rest of the meat.

4. Turn the heat down to medium. Add the shallots and cook while stirring about 1 minute. Add the white wine and lemon juice. Turn to high heat again, boil to reduce the white wine (thereby concentrating its flavor). You can perform the step of reducing the wine in a separate skillet ahead of time if you wish. Add the heavy cream. Cook, while stirring until you see the cream beginning to get thick. You can do this over high heat but must pay attention to avoid burning. If burning the sauce is a danger, reduce the heat.

5. When the sauce is thickened to your taste, turn heat to low, add the meat slices back into the skillet in the sauce and turn to coat each slice in the sauce.

6. Serve on a platter and sprinkle with the parsley.

Variations
You can increase the liquid amounts to produce more sauce.

You can sautee mushrooms in butter in a separate skillet and add into the sauce while it is thickening. I'm not sure this adds any benefit, but it is something different to try.

Last edited by Alsatian; 07-12-2010 at 11:06 AM.
Old 07-12-2010, 11:12 AM
Fork Horn

My favorite way to have venison is to cut steaks about 1-1 1/2 and pound them out with a meat tenderizer down to about a 1/2 - 3/4 inch thick. Then I usually fry them in a pan with lots of butter and sauteed onions. When i'm done I put a little bit of salt and pepper then i'm done. They are really tender this way. I'm not much for covering the taste of venison with all the marinade stuff.
Old 07-20-2010, 01:07 PM
Dominant Buck

I have 2....

If your in a hurry..
Brown 2 pieces of bacon in cast iron skillet..

{ Meanwhile ..use tenderizing hammer and beat the snot out of the little steaks..LOL}

Add some chopped up onions to the bacon.
Sprinkle some Monteray Steak Seasoning or salt and pepper on the little steaks.
Place in medium hot skillet..fry about 2 minutes on each side.

Say the blessing and have sides ready.
Bring cast iron right to the table..sit it on a pot holder
Quickly put on your plate...YUM YUM !! enjoy
Old 07-20-2010, 04:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm a simple man. I just like a good, aged venison steak rubbed with Everglades Seasoning and grilled. I like mine with a little pink.