Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Camp Cooking and Game Processing
Grey Squirrel Cooking Advice Wanted! >

Grey Squirrel Cooking Advice Wanted!

Community
Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

Grey Squirrel Cooking Advice Wanted!

Old 09-03-2009, 12:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Question Grey Squirrel Cooking Advice Wanted!

Hey Guys!

I'm looking for more reasons to be in the deer woods and thought squirrel hunting would be a good reason. However, I don't know how to cook grey squirrels.

I'm a decent cook and can follow directions though.

How do you cook grey squirrels?

Do you have any good recipes for grey squirrels?

Thanks,

iSnipe
Old 09-03-2009, 05:35 AM
Typical Buck

Squirrel can be very tough young ones not so bad. You are better cooking them long and slow. Fast cooking like frying tends to toughen them.

Cajun Crockpot Squirrel

Serves 6
3 pounds meat(squirrel)
2 med.size chopped onions
1/2 chopped bell pepper
8 oz. can tomato sauce
salt and pepper to taste
1 T. flour
1 T. cooking oil

Put all ingredients in the slow cooker and stir well.Add water to just barely cover meat.Cook on high for about 5 hours or untill meat is cooked Serve over rice.

Cajun Style Rice

3 cups rice
2 tsp. salt
6 cups water
2 T. cooking oil

Place rice in pot and add water,salt and oil.Place over medium heat uncovered.As soon as rice starts to boil,stir.Cover and reduce heat to low.Let cook for 20 to 20 minutes longer or intill water has been absorbed.

Grandma's Squirrel Pot Pie
· 1 cup Bisquick (Original Recipe)
· 1 cup of milk
· 2 cans cream of mushroom soup
· 1 can sliced mushrooms (drained)
· 1 one pound bag frozen mixed vegetables (thawed and warmed on stove top)
· 2 large eggs
· 3 guttted/skinned/boiled/de-boned large gray squirrels cut into chunks.
· 1 teaspoon pepper
· 2 teaspoons salt
1. Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees.
2. mix eggs, bisquick and milk with a fork til blended well and set aside.
3. mix soups, meat and vegetables in ungreased 9 inch baking pan.
4. Pour blended batter on top til covered completely.
5. Cook 45 minutes or until crust is golden brown.
Notes from Steve: for variety soups can be interchanged with cream of brocolli, cream of asparagus, cream of celery or cream of chicken.. Makes a hearty meal for 4 adults/ feeds six children...
I saw your other recipes posted and couldn't resist sending you this. I grew up on this one in West Virginia. My Grandma used to use this for chicken, duck, rabbit, squirrel and pheasant and I think she even used turkey and left over deer meat a time or two. One note of caution: Watch out for lead pellets when eating. Ha! Sometimes one or two gets missed when cleaning the meat after the hunt

Honey and Cider Squirrel

2 young squirrel, dressed & halved
1/2 cup honey
2 cups apple cider
2 bay leaves, crushed
1 TBL cornstarch
2 TBL water

Pat squirrel halves dry. Place on rack in broiler pan.
Coat with half the honey.
Broil 6 inches from heat source for 8 minutes. Turn.
Coat with remaining honey.
Broil for 8 minutes longer.
Place in roasting pan. Pour cider over squirrel. Add bay leaves. Roast @ 350 degrees for 1 hour or until tender.
Remove to serving platter; keep warm.
Strain pan drippings into saucepan.
Dissolve cornstarch in water; stir into pan drippings. Cook over medium heat until thickened, stirring constantly.
Serve with crisp shoestring potatoes and green salad. Yield 4 Servings.

Squirrel Casserole

2 squirrels
2 10 ounce packages of frozen broccoli with cheese
1 stick butter or margarine
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup chopped celery
1 10 3/4 ounce can of cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
1 cup cooked rice
Dash of garlic powder
Salt and Pepper to taste

In a saucepan, cover squirrels with water and boil until meat is tender
and falls from bones. Cook broccoli according to package directions. Melt
butter over medium heat in a skillet, add onion and celery, and saute until tender. Add the soup and stir well. Combine squirrel, broccoli mixture, and rice in a 13" x 9" inch baking dish. Season with garlic powder, salt and pepper. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour.

Squirrel with Black-Eyed Peas
4 medium-size squirrels, drawn, skinned, and cleaned
1/2 lb Black-eyed peas
3 med Onions
2 small Carrots
1/2 pkt. Frozen sweet peas
1/4 lb Smoked link sausage
Flour
Bacon fat or lard
Salt and pepper
1 cup Chicken broth

For the slow cooker: serves two
Put the squirrels into salted water and hold overnight in the refrigerator; the next day, rinse and pat dry.
Bring 4-6 cups of water to vigorous boil in a large saucepan, then add the black-eyed peas to it. Boil furiously for 2 minutes, then remove from the heat and cover; hold 15 minutes and drain. Quarter the squirrels, and dredge with flour. Saute' in a skillet in hot bacon fat or lard until golden brown, then drain on a paper towel and place in a crock-pot. Chop the onions coarsely, and saute' in bacon fat and pan drippings until translucent, and add to the pot. Cut the carrots into 3/4" lengths, and the sausage into 1/8" disks, then add them along with the frozen peas and the cooked blackeyed peas. Salt and pepper to taste and stir gently; add the chicken broth and cook in the crock-pot for 8 hours on low setting, or until the meat is almost falling off the bones. For a different flavor, you can substitute lentils or navy beans for the black-eyed peas.

Squirrel Gumbo
3 - 4 Squirrels; cleaned
1 Chicken
1 1/2 cup Bell pepper; chopped
1 1/2 cup Celery; chopped
1 qt Stewed tomatoes
1 can (small) tomato sauce
2 cups Canned okra
2 TBS Creole gumbo file; or to taste
3/4 c Dark roux

Pressure cook and debone squirrels and chicken. Save the broth. To boiling broth, add bell pepper, celery, onion, tomatoes and tomato sauce. Make roux (using oil and flour in equal parts, in a heavy skillet brown roux) and add to the above mixture, stirring until well blended. Cook until vegetables are tender. Add meat and okra. Season to taste. You may also want to add hot sauce to taste. Simmer for 15 minutes. Just before serving or when serving, add file‚ to taste. Serve over rice.
Old 09-03-2009, 10:21 AM
Fork Horn

Boil squirrel untill meat falls from the bone. seperate meat from bones. Shred the meat and place in frying pan of hot grease with stove top on medium heat. Add flower and stir untill brown. Reduce heat to low and add a little squirrel broth and stir untill the gravey thickens adding more broth as necessary. Add salt and pepper to suit taste. Serve over hot biscuits that have been halfed.
Old 09-03-2009, 05:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Holy Smokes! Thanks for coming through guys! Just needed a good start on what to do with the squirrels I'm going to get. I heard and knew people ate squirrels, but around here it's uncommon and don't know anyone who hunts them with any regularity. It's fun as I did it as a kid.

Looks like some good recipes and can't wait to try them out. I don't have some of the ingredients so I'll make a trip to the store and get fresh herbs, etc, to get things rollin' when the time comes.

Thanks!

iSnipe
Old 09-04-2009, 07:01 PM
Fork Horn

I like to slow cook it till tender, then just roll it in flour and fry in butter, no need to cover the taste with a bunch of spices or other junk. My grandson has 3 in the freezer now and tomorrow night it will be squirrel and gravy.
Old 09-05-2009, 01:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by damascusblade5
I like to slow cook it till tender, then just roll it in flour and fry in butter, no need to cover the taste with a bunch of spices or other junk. My grandson has 3 in the freezer now and tomorrow night it will be squirrel and gravy.
I just like to pan fry my deer meat(venison) and season with salt and pepper. However, a family member doesn't have good teeth and prefers to slow cook the meat because it's more tender and easier to chew. You have an excellent idea I'd like to try... the slow cook method, then pan fry afterwards. The frying adds a new taste, so I'm anxious to taste that.

...no need to cover the taste with a bunch of spices or other junk.
I wouldn't call it "cover the taste". More like complimenting the taste that already exists. It's like McDonald's fries. When I use ketchup, I'm sure not "cover the taste", but rather compliment the salty, greasy, great taste that's already there. LOL!

Thanks for the feedback.

iSnipe
Old 11-27-2009, 05:49 PM
Spike

Do you know the easiest way to clean a squirrel? If not, shoot me an email [email protected]
Old 12-01-2009, 07:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

The only recipe I have would be having lost for a few days and no food, I would make a fire and put a stick through it. That would be the only way I eat a tree rat.
They come in around the kabin here and they start eating the fabric or chewing on the wood so I just pop them with the 22 and throw them out for the coyotes. The ones up here have no size to them.

Bobby
Old 12-05-2009, 03:35 AM
Fork Horn

Squirrel gravy is the thing around here. Ive braised them over mushrooms with wine, garlic and butter. Now thats some good squirrel too.
Old 12-14-2009, 12:36 PM
Dominant Buck

I also boil it first..then take it out and flour it.sale and pepper..fry it up...YUM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Very Good!!!