Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Camp Cooking and Game Processing
 LOOKING FOR A GOOD BBQ COON RECEIPE >

LOOKING FOR A GOOD BBQ COON RECEIPE

Community
Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

LOOKING FOR A GOOD BBQ COON RECEIPE

Old 01-02-2009, 09:39 PM
Typical Buck

Default LOOKING FOR A GOOD BBQ COON RECEIPE

DOES ANYONE HAVE A RECEIPE FOR COON. ME AND MY SON HAVE BEEN TRAPPING THEM AND I WOULD LIKE TO BBQ ONE. IT HAS BEEN A LONG TIME SINCE HAVING COON. GOOD HUNTING.
Old 01-03-2009, 09:29 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: LOOKING FOR A GOOD BBQ COON RECEIPE

here's a few switch the beaver to coon

Bandit pie

1 raccoon
1 ½ cups white wine
1 tsp. beef bouillon
2 lbs. Potatoes
1 small onion, grated
1 egg, beaten
1 large onion chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
½ cup celery, chopped
1 cup carrots, shredded
½ cup fresh parsley, chopped
1 8 oz. Can sliced mushrooms, drained or fresh equivalent
1 tsp. thyme
½ tsp. dry mustard
1 tsp. salt
½ tsp. pepper.
Clean and remove all fat from raccoon, cut into pieces and place wine and bouillon with the pieces in a pressure cooker. Cook for 25 minutes at 15 pounds pressure. Allow to drop in pressure when cool debone and reserve meat and broth separately.
Cook potatoes until tender, drain and mash. Allow to cool slightly they stir in the grated onion and beaten egg.
Place onion, garlic, and celery in pan with ¼ cup of reserved liquid. Cook over medium heat stirring occasionally for 10 minutes until onion and celery are soft. Add remaining ingredients, diced meat and 1 cup of reserved liquid. Bring to a boil and reduce liquid by ½.
Transfer to a greased 3-quart casserole dish. Top with the mashed potatoes. Bake at 375 for 15-20 minutes until heated through and slightly browned.

BEAVER OR RACCOON ROAST WITH BARBECUE SAUCE RECIPE
1 small to medium beaver or raccoon cut into serving size pieces
1/2 tsp. salt
1 teaspoon instant minced onion
3 tbsp. brown sugar
1/2 cup chili sauce
1 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 ( 7 oz.) bottle of beer or pickle juice

Place pieces of beaver or raccoon in a foil-lined roasting pan. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. and roast, covered for a half hour. Meanwhile, mix other ingredients in a small bowl for barbecue sauce. After meat has roasted a half hour, uncover and pour barbecue sauce over the pieces. Then roast, uncovered, for another half hour to an hour--until tender. Baste several times during cooking, using your barbecue sauce

Beaver boiled, fried and baked
1 beaver (8-10 lbs.)
1 bay leaf
2 med. onions
1-2 garlic cloves
Celery leaves - optional
Flour
Salt and pepper

Remove all fat from beaver. Cut up as you do rabbit. Soak overnight in salt water. Parboil until about half-cooked in water with the bay leaf, onions, and garlic. Celery may or may not be added. Drain, roll in flour and brown in hot fat, season with salt and pepper. Bake in covered pan in a moderate oven until tender. Gravy may be made from the drippings. Plan the same number of servings as from a similar weight of pork (8 oz. per serving). Beaver is very rich.

Old 09-15-2009, 07:59 AM
Fork Horn

Is coon any good been hunting them for years and have never though of eating on. Course after seeing there nast ass dens how could I but I might try it
Old 09-23-2009, 03:38 PM
Fork Horn

they taste alot like beef
Old 10-01-2009, 06:05 AM
Boone & Crockett

I cook coons like I do possum or armadillos... Rub them down with Atkins dry rub and put them in the smoker until meat falls off bones.
Old 10-01-2009, 06:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

It's been quite awhile ago, but a friend of mine roasted one in the oven like you would do a turkey or chicken. It was falling apart when he took it out. We let it cool, and dove in. It's a little greasy, and probably should be set up off the bottom of the roaster with one of those platforms. But man was it ever good!! I like the dark meat of turkey and chicken, and this was right down my alley. Seems to me it had a bit of a reddish cast to it.... If I was to BBQ one, I'd cut it into chunks, par-boil it until tender and BBQ on low heat until falling apart. I've come to really like "Sweet Baby Ray's" original BBQ sauce - about the best of the store-bought brands in my opinion......cook meat on grill until it starts to brown evenly, and then slop the sauce to it....
Hope this helped....I'm getting hungry just talking about it...