Community
Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

Grinder Question

Old 09-21-2009, 09:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Grinder Question

Anyone who processes their own meat? I process my deer and since I moved back to Wyoming and am now elk hunting again I would like to get an upgrade in a grinder. I have had a manual grinder as well as a small electric grinder and they are a pain to say the least when trying to make 15 Lbs of sausage.

I will be using it for making hamburger as well as summer sausage possibly from three elk depending on how many we end up with in a year.

I was looking at the LEM #8, #12 as well as the cabelas #8 grinders. Anyone have any expirience with these. It looks like any one of them would work but I wanted some opinions before I purchased one.

Thanks

Last edited by Wheatley; 09-21-2009 at 09:48 AM.
Old 09-21-2009, 08:05 PM
Typical Buck

I don't know about those particular models, but have the Cabela's 1 hp unit. It is a grinding machine. It may be more than you want to spend, but I'd recommend you get the biggest machine you can reasonably afford. It is a lifetime investment. I don't know who makes Cabela's grinders, but the seem well built.
Old 09-21-2009, 10:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have something very similar to their #10 grinder, but got mine at Gander Mountain. I paid $40 about 11 years ago and just started really using it. LOL!

It works great. However, the small hopper, 3"x4" is becoming a pain because I have to cut the meat smaller to get things done faster... and because we're in a microwave-want-it-done-now-society, I'm in that boat too, so I'm opting for a larger one real quick! LOL! Other than that, I like it a lot and it's worth every penny. I love double grinding to get the meat nice and tender.

iSnipe
Old 09-22-2009, 12:34 PM
Typical Buck

Do you guys add beef fat to your hamburger?

I ask because last year I bought some beef fat (way cheap) from the local supermarket to add a little flavor to the burger so that my wife and kids would eat it and also for some pepperoni sticks. (Can't make pepproni sticks without fat) First I put the meat in and ground that up, then I ground up the beef fat and mixed them together and about 95/5 meat/fat ratio and put it through the grinder again. I had absolutely terrible results and didn't work at all with the little hand grinder. The sad thing is I think for the pepperoni sticks you need more fat than 5% and I never even tried that.

This year I purchased the 1 hp Cabelas unit and hoping it works better but I thought it would be a good question for this thread as it may change what the original poster is really looking for.
Old 09-22-2009, 01:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Don't remember the brand on my grinder, it's a heavy stainless thing that I bought through Northern Tools several years ago, but it can grind meat faster than I can feed it.
I always add pork fat/trim to my burger at about 20%. Adding the fat not only adds flavor, but helps the burger pattys hold together, and all burgers need a little fat to them, don't they? I would think sausage and pepperoni would need more than 5% too.
I always double grind, and I add the pork fat/trim as I grind the first time.
Old 09-22-2009, 01:20 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Howler
Don't remember the brand on my grinder, it's a heavy stainless thing that I bought through Northern Tools several years ago, but it can grind meat faster than I can feed it.
I always add pork fat/trim to my burger at about 20%. Adding the fat not only adds flavor, but helps the burger pattys hold together, and all burgers need a little fat to them, don't they? I would think sausage and pepperoni would need more than 5% too.
I always double grind, and I add the pork fat/trim as I grind the first time.
I was wondering why nobody was mentioning that...I thought maybe I was the only one adding fat. You're right sausage and pepperoni need much more than 5% but with the hand grinder it was a joke even doing 5%. It would just get all gummed up and quit feeding. I think a bigger grinder (which I have ready to go this year) would work much better when adding fat. By gummed up I mean the spiral feeder at the bottom of the hand grinder would just turn into a solid piece of fat and nothing would feed through it.

Burgers gotta have fat or it's just not a burger!!
Old 09-22-2009, 05:33 PM
Typical Buck

My family is long line of butchers and farmers and we use Hobart grinders they last for ever and they back up there product . Only thing is we use comical size I don't know if they make a smaller size .

I use beef timings in my venison not just fat and will use up to 15% . Lot of shops use kidney fat I don't like it as well as outer fat don't have the same flavor.
Old 09-23-2009, 06:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the suggestions. With sausage I usually add 30% pork with the fat on. For hamburger from an elk I was going to add about 10% beef trim. I usually can get it free from the butcher.

I think I am going to check into the Hobart grinders and see what they have to offer. I don't know that I need a 1HP, I was looking at the 1/2 and the 3/4 HP units.

Thanks guys
Old 09-23-2009, 09:08 AM
Boone & Crockett

I have got a 1 horsepower Anvil grinder and I think the 3/4 would have been good enough for what I use it for. I do like the idea that the 1 horse has reverse on it though. The reverse comes in handy at times.. I read somewhere that a 1 horsepower grinder should grind roughly 750 lbs in an hour so it depends on how much or how little you plan on using it..
Old 09-23-2009, 10:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Phil,

How do you like the Anvil Grinder? I have seen them around in my search but have no information on them. I know the LEM products are good for the average hunter and have heard good things about the Cabelas line as well.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.