Community
Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

dehydrator meats...

Old 12-28-2008, 10:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default dehydrator meats...

ok guys...i just found out that my buddy had a good dehydrator and a pretty much commercial jerky shooter with a flat and round nozzle...

i have a bunch of ground meat i really dont use that i can afford to make stuff with...the flat jerky wasnt bad at all...he made his too dry for my liking...i dont like it chewy but i dont like it to CRACK when i bite it either...

i will probably make some of it and some of the round too just to see how it turns out....

id REALLY like to make "snack sticks" if possible. you know the ones that are like slim jims almost....i dont know if they are smoked or dehydrated or how to make them.....but if i could and it wasnt hard id like to make them.....i dont know if i could leave my round stuff from the jerky shooter in a certain amount of time to get a more moist product like a snack stick or what....

just dont wanna make it moist and get sick or have it rot or mold or anything.....

any info?? thanx guys...i had no idea my buddy had a dehyrator...they (the family) must be smart and not bring their jerky around coz it goes QUICK with a group of hunters around....but i caught them in the middle of cooking today! lol
Old 12-29-2008, 04:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: dehydrator meats...

Snack Sticks or (Slim Jims)

10 pounds ground beef or deer
2 level tsp. Insta cure #1
4 tbsp. paprika
6 tbsp. ground mustard
1 tsp. ground black pepper
1 tsp. ground white pepper
1 tsp. ground celery
1 tbsp. mace
1 tsp. granulated garlic
3 1/2 ozs. kosher salt
1 1/2 ozs. powdered dextrose
6 ozs. Fermento

The last two ingredients are for fermentation and may be omitted if you don't want the tang... After you stuff the beef sticks, for the tangy flavor smoke at 90-110* for 8 hours and letting it go at this temperature for another 12 if you want the tang to fully develop.. Then you raise the smokehouse temperature until the meat reaches 145ยบ internally... If you omit the last two items.. Smoke till 152* Try to keep your smoker around 190-195*...

You need the insta cure so as not to get botulism. No need to smoke. just a dd a little liquid smoke to your mix, start out with a little 1/2 teaspoon plus 1/2 teaspoon water. Experiment and adjust each batch to your liking,