Community
Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

Removing gamey flavor?

Old 03-11-2003, 10:18 AM

Default Removing gamey flavor?

I have a freezer full of wild hog and some of it has a VERY gamey flavor. I don' t necessarily want to remove all of it but would like to take some of the gamey taste out of it. I' ve heard some people say to soak it in a brine solution. What is a brine solution? Are there any other options? Please help! I don' t want to have to trow this meat out. Any and all suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated.
Old 03-11-2003, 02:40 PM

Default RE: Removing gamey flavor?

Your Hogs have a lot of blood in your meet soak the meet in milk or soak the meet in a marinade solution over night. Or you can mix the meet with stock hog or beef that will tone the wild flavor down. I use the best fat I can buy t-bone fat or ribeye fat helps to reduce the wild flavor. Remember that wild flavor is from what the animal eats and hogs are scavengers like yard chickens! Good luck and great cooking!
Old 03-11-2003, 03:55 PM

the only gamey wild hogs I have ever had,was when it was a big boar,or got real mad with dogs.
the rest I have taken are just as good as most tame,and I have taken in the 100' s of wild hogs.
if you be very careful when you dress them they are like most tame hogs,just a little stronger(not much,if done right).

soak the strong ones ina chest covered with ice for a couple days,this draws out the blood.then marinade it in , garlic powder,lowyers seasoning,pepper,place into ziplock or large bag and pour Zesty Italian Salad dressing over it just to wet real well. leave this overnight turn over when you think of it,and cook ever how you like.

the main thing is to handle it very carefully when killed.
Old 03-14-2003, 09:41 AM
DL2

I do mine in apple juice and red onion with a splash of worcestershire sauce. Limits the game taste to a dull roar and the WS breaks down the fat and acts as a marinade.
Old 03-14-2003, 09:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have used milk before for fishy flavor. I think the milk takes the gamey out instead of covering it. This is what I have been told. Also I have heard the longer you soak in milk the less the gamey taste. Also if you marinade you still want to do the milk thing. I guess all you can do is try and see what you like better. Thats aways fun!!!!!!!![:-]Mmmmmmm food.
Old 03-19-2003, 07:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

I' ve used milk to reduce the gaminess of venison & chevron (goat meat) for pot lucks. Many who are afraid of gamey meat enjoyed it.
Old 03-20-2003, 07:46 AM

I do this with fish mostly to take alot of the strong fishy taste out but it works very well on wild game. A few table spoons of A1 sauce in a pan of water and soak overnight or at least a few hours before cooking. I tried it on pork last year and it worked very well. (use a little more for gamier meats.)