Community
Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

Corn Flour..???

Old 07-24-2008, 04:11 PM
Dominant Buck

Default Corn Flour..???

Has anyone evey used corn flower to fry fish?? I bought some that I ws going to mix with some Creole seasoning.I'll let you all know how it turns out..
Old 07-24-2008, 04:51 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Corn Flour..???

I can't see why it wouldn't be good, possily not as crispy as corn meal though. Are you going to make up a batter or just run your fish through an egg wash and roll in your seasoned flour then into the frier?
Old 07-25-2008, 12:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Try your recipe but use rice flour instead with up to a TBSPof baking soda addedfor something different.Rice flour is very fine and light. The BS will give some crispness to your batter while the rice flour will give a nice light coating to fried fish filets.

Ron
Old 07-25-2008, 03:06 AM
Dominant Buck

Well Folks,
I've already bought the corn flour...I'll post a picture tonight as I plan to have a nice mess of bluegill fillets for dinner today..Plain flour and cornmeal is ok but does not give the good crisp coating I 'm looking for. I don't do the batter thing..I like to dust, egg , drag through the mixture and fry in peanut oil.
I do plan to mix either Creole or Cayan seasonings with the corn flour as well.

Well,,,I better get my gear ready and hit the lake,
C7

Here is the way my dinner usually turns out...very good but I'm shooting for excellent.The round things are potato latkes ..the fish are with jalopean hush puppies and the beans are cooked slow with molasses . vidalia onion and bacon..

Old 07-25-2008, 12:28 PM
Dominant Buck

Not bad..a much better texture..

Old 07-25-2008, 01:43 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Chuck7

Has anyone evey used corn flower to fry fish?? I bought some that I ws going to mix with some Creole seasoning.I'll let you all know how it turns out..
Chuck, I like my batter Crispy.....Drake has some seasonig, but you can add more....I pick it up at Public...

Old 07-25-2008, 03:10 PM
Dominant Buck

Yes sir..I do to..I was looking for some of that but couldn't find any..I'll check again at Publics..I need to find out what the ingredients are on the bag..
Old 07-26-2008, 08:13 AM
Dominant Buck

We also like this one.....

Old 07-26-2008, 11:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

Chuck, They both look good. Also I'm going to look for that zataran'smix thatRebel posted.
Old 07-27-2008, 02:21 AM
Dominant Buck

Back when I was a kid..our local Methodist church put on an annually ham and oyster dinner to make money..The oysters were first class..I think they fried them in bread crumbs..my wife reminded me that some folks use ground up salt tine crackers..I'm trying that with my next batch .I've got enough fresh fish to try a different technique weekly...for quite a while.I don't usually batter fry ..I like to dredge and fry.

I also worked for a high class seafood restaurant in Maryland as a teenager..our food was 2nd to none..Yesterday I was trying to remember how we did our stuffed flounder ...and what the breading was..37 years ago..

I think we dredged the flounder pieces through canned evaporated milk..not sure about the milk..then we dragged the fillets through the ground bread crumbs..We then would squash a crab cake on one fillet andstick in pieces of chopped up jumbo shrimp..WE would lay the other flounder fillet on top..keep together with tooth picks arounf the edge..Deep fry ...drain..remove tooth picks and serve..GOOD STUFF.This was in 1971..the price was 2.85

Quick Reply: Corn Flour..???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.