Community
Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

Smoker Cookers

Old 04-01-2008, 07:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Smoker Cookers

Alright, I was at my local BPS the other day and found out that I had enough rewards points to purchase a Brinkman Charcoal Smoker for free.

Now my question to all of you is: how do I use this thing and what are some good recipes?
Old 04-01-2008, 12:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Smoker Cookers

It should have come with a recipe pamphlet, I lost mine.[:@]

The charcoal pan goes on the bottom hooks, next up is the water pan then the 2 heights for grates for smoking. If your just grilling jkust put the coal pan up higher and use only 1 grate.. Hope that helps a little .

http://www.brinkmann.net/Docs/Pdf/810-5301-C.pdf
Old 04-01-2008, 02:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

It did come with the book but figured others here had better recipes. I did get it together and it looks correct. Now to try it out. Don't really plan to use it as a grill. Just a smoker.
Old 04-01-2008, 06:46 PM
Typical Buck

I think you should try, if nothing else, some of our lake michigan coho salmon
take filets skin on. soak in a brine. about one cup of salt and one cup of brown sugarper a gallon af waterdisolved
soak for 24 hours.
don"t make a huge pile of chacoal, let get totaly white.
pile on some water soaked apple wood or peach chips.
smoke for at least 3 hours until cooked, but not dryed out

Cornish game hens same thing with the brine, but they will need more charcoal and more time
Old 04-01-2008, 07:19 PM
Fork Horn

good luck using that P O S.

You should have saved your points. Ill bet you could have found one for sale at a local Saturday garage sale for $5.

Is it obvious yet I dont like them???

I use to (note the words 'use to') have one. I think I gave mine away. I could never get the heat to regulate. It started out hot and quickly went cold. I tried several different things and never could get anything to work.

Now, maybe since you have a users guide youll have better luck. Mine was a handme down fromthe inlaws and the book was a no-show.

I got very fed up with it. Best of luck with yours.
Old 04-01-2008, 09:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well I figured it was more or less free and I would give it a try! Planning on throwing somethingon it this weekend!
Old 04-02-2008, 06:25 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: okietreedude

good luck using that P O S.

You should have saved your points. Ill bet you could have found one for sale at a local Saturday garage sale for $5.

Is it obvious yet I dont like them???

I use to (note the words 'use to') have one. I think I gave mine away. I could never get the heat to regulate. It started out hot and quickly went cold. I tried several different things and never could get anything to work.

Now, maybe since you have a users guide youll have better luck. Mine was a handme down fromthe inlaws and the book was a no-show.

I got very fed up with it. Best of luck with yours.

That pretty much says it all. As a smoker they work if you hot smoke everything , The big problem is no temp control which is the key to making smoked products like ham, sausages,bacon etc. If you just want a cooked smoked chicken, roast etc it will work fine.
Old 04-03-2008, 03:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

The only thing I use mine for is: smoking fish and letting the kids toast marshmelows. So it's usually just taking up space.
Old 04-03-2008, 07:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

I had one, personally thought it was to needy and got tired of baby sitting it so I gave it away. After that I relized maybe Icould have used it as a Dutch oven cooker or stand. Not sure if it would work or not but it at least would have had a use

Good Luck with yours!! Who knows you might be able roll out some good eats
Old 04-03-2008, 03:28 PM
Typical Buck

Well thats the thing, if you want to do big things like a whole ham, or other big peice of meat, you need to have a bigger smoker. You also need to remember that if you are smoking fish, ribs, game hens,or even fryers, you don"t want a high temp. You want to cook slow and low, otherwise just put it in the oven. If your smoking a 15 lb. turkey it will take 8 to 10 hours before you even look at it. It"s always been worth it for me. Me and food,,,,we go way back.

Quick Reply: Smoker Cookers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.