Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums >
 Smoker Cookers >

After The Hunt

Camp Cooking and Game Processing

Smoker Cookers

Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

Smoker Cookers

Old 04-01-2008, 07:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Smoker Cookers

Alright, I was at my local BPS the other day and found out that I had enough rewards points to purchase a Brinkman Charcoal Smoker for free.

Now my question to all of you is: how do I use this thing and what are some good recipes?
Old 04-01-2008, 12:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Smoker Cookers

It should have come with a recipe pamphlet, I lost mine.[:@]

The charcoal pan goes on the bottom hooks, next up is the water pan then the 2 heights for grates for smoking. If your just grilling jkust put the coal pan up higher and use only 1 grate.. Hope that helps a little .

http://www.brinkmann.net/Docs/Pdf/810-5301-C.pdf
Old 04-01-2008, 02:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

It did come with the book but figured others here had better recipes. I did get it together and it looks correct. Now to try it out. Don't really plan to use it as a grill. Just a smoker.
Old 04-01-2008, 06:46 PM
Typical Buck

I think you should try, if nothing else, some of our lake michigan coho salmon
take filets skin on. soak in a brine. about one cup of salt and one cup of brown sugarper a gallon af waterdisolved
soak for 24 hours.
don"t make a huge pile of chacoal, let get totaly white.
pile on some water soaked apple wood or peach chips.
smoke for at least 3 hours until cooked, but not dryed out

Cornish game hens same thing with the brine, but they will need more charcoal and more time
Old 04-01-2008, 07:19 PM
Fork Horn

good luck using that P O S.

You should have saved your points. Ill bet you could have found one for sale at a local Saturday garage sale for $5.

Is it obvious yet I dont like them???

I use to (note the words 'use to') have one. I think I gave mine away. I could never get the heat to regulate. It started out hot and quickly went cold. I tried several different things and never could get anything to work.

Now, maybe since you have a users guide youll have better luck. Mine was a handme down fromthe inlaws and the book was a no-show.

I got very fed up with it. Best of luck with yours.
Old 04-01-2008, 09:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well I figured it was more or less free and I would give it a try! Planning on throwing somethingon it this weekend!
Old 04-02-2008, 06:25 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: okietreedude

good luck using that P O S.

You should have saved your points. Ill bet you could have found one for sale at a local Saturday garage sale for $5.

Is it obvious yet I dont like them???

I use to (note the words 'use to') have one. I think I gave mine away. I could never get the heat to regulate. It started out hot and quickly went cold. I tried several different things and never could get anything to work.

Now, maybe since you have a users guide youll have better luck. Mine was a handme down fromthe inlaws and the book was a no-show.

I got very fed up with it. Best of luck with yours.

That pretty much says it all. As a smoker they work if you hot smoke everything , The big problem is no temp control which is the key to making smoked products like ham, sausages,bacon etc. If you just want a cooked smoked chicken, roast etc it will work fine.
Old 04-03-2008, 03:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

The only thing I use mine for is: smoking fish and letting the kids toast marshmelows. So it's usually just taking up space.
Old 04-03-2008, 07:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

I had one, personally thought it was to needy and got tired of baby sitting it so I gave it away. After that I relized maybe Icould have used it as a Dutch oven cooker or stand. Not sure if it would work or not but it at least would have had a use

Good Luck with yours!! Who knows you might be able roll out some good eats
Old 04-03-2008, 03:28 PM
Typical Buck

Well thats the thing, if you want to do big things like a whole ham, or other big peice of meat, you need to have a bigger smoker. You also need to remember that if you are smoking fish, ribs, game hens,or even fryers, you don"t want a high temp. You want to cook slow and low, otherwise just put it in the oven. If your smoking a 15 lb. turkey it will take 8 to 10 hours before you even look at it. It"s always been worth it for me. Me and food,,,,we go way back.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.