Community
Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

squirrel cuts

Old 03-25-2008, 06:30 PM

Default squirrel cuts

how can you cut the squirrel so you get the good meat or can you just toss a cleaned skined squirrel on the grill and wait till its done?
Old 03-25-2008, 09:44 PM

Default RE: squirrel cuts

Not sure if this will answer your question but ive never cooked one on the grill before so im not sure how that would be. I usually cut the legs off and then cut the torso in half and fry them. They are really tough and hard to eat off of the bone. The next ones i cook, im going to debone them and then fry the meat. I think this may make them easier to eat.
Old 03-26-2008, 11:10 AM
Typical Buck

Squirrel can be tough as a hockey puck, most recipes call for you to boil the animal until tender then remove the meat from the bone before using, or cook long and slow until tender, grilled squirrel might be a hockey puck unless you get a young one.

Squirrel Casserole[/b]

2 squirrels
2 10 ounce packages of frozen broccoli with cheese
1 stick butter or margarine
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup chopped celery
1 10 3/4 ounce can of cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
1 cup cooked rice
Dash of garlic powder
Salt and Pepper to taste

In a saucepan, cover squirrels with water and boil until meat is tender
and falls from bones. Cook broccoli according to package directions. Melt
butter over medium heat in a skillet, add onion and celery, and saute until tender. Add the soup and stir well. Combine squirrel, broccoli mixture, and rice in a 13" x 9" inch baking dish. Season with garlic powder, salt and pepper. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour.

Squirrel Patties[/b]

3 squirrels
1 onion, chopped fine
1.5 Tbs. ketchup
1 cup mashed potatoes
3 Tbs. bread crumbs
Salt and pepper to taste

Parboil squirrels until tender, remove meat from bone and chop coarsely
Mix together with other ingredients and form patties, Fry in bacon grease, or oil.

Squirrel Stew

Ingredients:
1 squirrel, quartered
1 cup diced onion
2 large tomatoes (from your garden) or 1 can of tomatoes
Assorted fresh, or canned veggies
Preparation:
Sprinkle seasoned salt, pepper, and cayenne pepper (optional) liberally on the meat. Pour some cooking oil into a large pot (Dutch oven). Sauté the meat with the onions until well browned. Drain the excess oil, add about 2 cups water, and bring to a boil. Cut up the tomatoes and add. If you use canned tomatoes add them now. Turn down the heat, and let slow cook for at least an hour. Important: older squirrels may require cooking longer than an hour. Check periodically for tenderness. If you don't you will have a hard time chewing the meat. After the meat is tender, add the veggies, carrots, potatoes, and banana pepper, what ever you like. Cook until the veggies are done. An option you can use is, cook up your favorite pasta and serve over the pasta.

Old 03-27-2008, 09:29 AM
Dominant Buck

Grilled squirrel haunch would be like eating rawhide frog legs.
Old 03-28-2008, 08:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

I preasure cook squirells...mmm mmm good
Old 03-29-2008, 02:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree that grilling squirrel would guarantee tough meat...

I skin them in the woods soon after I shoot them..If you wait until rigor mortis sets in, the skin comes off REALLY hard...

I cut them into 5 pieces....4 legs and the back...I trim the rib cage away because there is is very little meat on it..

You can parboil the meat in water or broth until it is tender, and then brown it in a pan or in the oven with barbeque sauce...

My favorite recipe is to shake the squirrel pieces in seasoned flour and then brown them in butter....Thenbake them in a medium oven ( 300-325)with some beer ,wine, or chicken broth until they are very tender...
Old 04-14-2008, 04:08 PM

try soaking them in lemon juice and your fav. bbq sauce over night... then put on the grill. I've done that already and they were not that tough I thought. I also slow grilled them to. give that a shot