Community
Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

Deer Sausage recipes?

Old 12-30-2007, 11:05 AM

Default Deer Sausage recipes?

My dad and I are going to try making our own sausage recipes this year and I was wondering if anyone had any good recipes to help us. We have never tried making our own before so anything would be helpful.

Thanks,
Matt
Old 12-30-2007, 11:19 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Deer Sausage recipes?

It is going to be a personal preference. Cabela's has a few premixes you add to your meat......
Old 12-30-2007, 11:22 AM
Boone & Crockett

You can get seasoning packs from Gander Mountain, bass pro or your local buthcher. You'll want to cut your venison with either fat or sausage.I use pork that is a fifty- fiftyratio, then I add some red vinegar,little olive oil and fresh garlic to mine.

You can google venison sausgae recipes and get some good idea's.
Old 12-30-2007, 11:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Personally, I like only a 10% fat addition(and venison fat if possible....then wild boar, but pork works just fine too). One of my favorites is a bleu cheese apple with caramelized onions I created in culinary school. I made a large batch but here is the recipe I had worked out.

15 pounds meat cubed
1.5 pounds fatback cubed
10 apples
5 onions
3/4 poundsbleu cheese crumbled
1/4 cup veg oil
4 T smoked hot paprika
2 T dark chili powder
3 T ground coriander
1 T ground cumin
1 gallon apple cider vinegar
Saltand Pepperto Taste

In a large pot add the oil and put on high. Dice or slice the onions and add to the oil, cook till darkly caramelized stirring occassionally(note that stirring stops caramelization from happening so don't stir too often, just enough that you don't burn the onions). When the onions are caramelized add the gallon of cider vinegar to deglaze and allow it to reduce down to a syrup, approximately 2-3 cups of liquid.
Peel and core your apples. Grind meat, fat, spices,and apples with a 1/8" dye or a medium dye if you prefer. mix in the onions and the cheese thoroughly. create a small tester patty and cook it off to check the salt and pepper level and adjust accordingly, repeating as necessary. When the seasoning is done, stuffyour sausage and enjoy.
Old 12-30-2007, 12:13 PM

Thanks guys!

Judyboi, that sounds really good!
Old 12-30-2007, 06:56 PM
Typical Buck

If you want to eat the sausages DO NOT USE DEER FAT!!! it will put a real funky taste in the meat. I use venison that has all the fat, sinue , blue membrane and silver skinremoved If you start with good materials you will get good sausage.
Venison has no intra muscle fat . For a good sausage you should have a minimum of 20% fat I prefer 25% Pork shoulders (pork butt ) has about 25% fat so if you mix it 50/50 with venison you get 12.5% fat still too low. You need to add more fat usually pork fat back. Weigh your lean meat and add the correct amount of fat to get to the 20-25% range. If you follow those simple steps you will have excellent sausages.

Here are a few recipes that I use.

venison breakfast sausage recipe[/b]
[/b]
[/b]
3 Lbs. ground venison
1 1/2 Lbs. ground side pork(fatty)
1 tspn. salt
1 tspn. corriander
1 tspn. mustard (dry)
1 tspn. garlic powder
1/4 tspn. cayenne
1/2 tspn. sage(ground)
1/3 cup Powdered Milk
1 cup water(cold)
sprinkle of dill weed

Stuff into collagen 22mm casings or sheep casings

Moroccan Venison Sausage

[/b]
Version 1
3 pounds ground Venison
1 pound beef fat
1 tsp. salt
1 1/2 tsp. curry powder
1 1/2 tsp. coarsely ground black pepper
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. dried thyme
1/2 tsp. currants
1/2 cup pomegranate juice
1 tsp. minced garlic
1/3 cup milk powder

mix together all ingredients, stuff into casings, and twist
into 5-inch lengths.

Version 2

3 lbs. Venison
1 lb Beef fat
1 cup chopped parsley
1 cup minced onion
1 tsp. marjoram
1 tsp. oregano
1 tsp. cayenne
1 tsp. fresh ground pepper
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. cumin
3/4 tsp. coriander
1/3 cup milk powder

Grind meat and fat using fine blade. Add parsley and onion and mix well. Add remaining ingredients mix well and stuff into sheep casings

Garlic Sausage

15 lbs. Venison[/b]
5 lbs pork fat back[/b]
5 Tbs. salt[/b]
2 Tbs. Black pepper[/b]
2 Tbs. Ground caraway[/b]
2 Tbs. Ground coriander[/b]
2 Tbs. Garlic powder[/b]
2 Tbs. Mace[/b]
1- 1/2pints ice water[/b]
2 Cups Soya Protein concentrate, or milk powder

Grind all meat through a fine plate. Add ice water then spices mix. Stuff into natural hog casings. Refrigerate overnight.[/b]
Old 12-30-2007, 09:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

That issue of using the silver skin and fat from venison stems from how you treated your animal/how well you like the gamey taste. Personally, that is why I eat venison, and having made literally 1-2 dozen TONS of sausage over the past 2 years I can guarantee that as long as you are accustomed to the taste of game and you treat your game correctly in the field, they possess some of the most flavorful(albeit scarce) fat.

The % of fat used is pure personal preference. In the recipe I posted above, I wouldn't go more than 10% based solely on the other additions of moisture, the apples and the onion/vinegar reduction. Not to mention the cheese. Fat adds "moisture" to a sausage and too much fat is just a greasy sausage, personally anything over 20% fat IMO is a greasy sausage. Experiment and play around with it and figure out what YOU like. You would be surprised at how hard it is to actually completely make it inedible.

But hey, what do I know? I am just a Le Cordon Bleu graduate and a Certified Executive Chef.......who was incharge of a 5-star kitchen at age 19.....but hey, what do I know?[8D]
Old 12-31-2007, 07:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

As Big Guy said "Never use Venison Fat". I always trim my venison so it's just pure meat. If you leave the sinew and silver skin on ,it will more than likely just clog your grinder, it doesn't become tender when cooked and justdoesn't taste good.I like atleast 15-20% fat. Sometimes Beef, sometimes Pork and sometimes Both. Depends on what I'm making. Search through all the threads, there have been many good posts on sausage making.

Breakfast Sausage

10 lbs of ground venison including pork fat. (usually 8 lbs meat 2 lbs fat) more or less to taste. I like more fat
5 tbls salt
1 tsp ground white pepper
1 tbls sage
1 tsp ground ginger
1 tbls ground nutmeg
2 tbls powdered dextrose
`
2 Cups Ice water

mix and stuff into 28-30 mm hog casings, 24-26 lamb casings or into roll and freeze into patties.
If freezing for any length of time it’s best to leave out the sage as it will turn bitter.`

Italian Sausage

10 lbs venison and fat as above (8&2) I like more fat.
4 tbs salt
2 cups ice water
3 tsp fennel seed
2tsp. coarse black pepper
1 tbs sugar

grind and mix, stuff into32-35 hog casings.

I have 2 Brat Recipes both very good:
First recipe:
2 lbs. venison
8 lbs. fresh pork shoulder
3 whole eggs
2 cups non-fat dry milk
1 tbsp ground white pepper
1 tbsp mace
1 tbsp nutmeg
1 tsp ginger
5 tbsp salt
1 cup cold water

Grind all meat through 3/8" grinder plate. Combine the meat and all the ingredients and mix thoroughly. Stuff into 32-36mm hog casings and twist into 6 inch links and/or just make into patties.

Second Recipe:

7 lbs. fresh pork shoulder
3 lbs. venison
2 cups non-fat dry milk
2 whole eggs
4 tbsp salt
1 tbsp sugar
4 tbsp fresh chopped parsley
1 1/4 tsp white pepper
1 1/4 tsp black pepper
1 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp mace
1 tsp ginger
1 cup cold water

Grind all meat through a 3/8" grinder plate. combine meat and all ingredients and mix thoroughly. Stuff into 32-36mm hog casing and twist into 6" links and/or form into patties.

Old 12-31-2007, 08:27 AM
Fork Horn

Hey Jerseyhunter, I like your recipes. But on the Brats, can they really be concidered venison brats since 1 recipe has 4 times more pork then venison and the other over double the amount? I mean it just seems a waste to incorporate venison into these 2 recipes when it is not gonna add much in the way of taste.
Venison recipes imo should be more focused on the venison then the pork. Have you tried adjusting the venison and pork measurments any?

on your breakfast sausage recipe, does the sage flavor come out strong in this recipe? Thinking of trying it but i like a strong sage taste in my sausage, was wondering if i should follow measurements excactly or add a bit more sage.

Old 12-31-2007, 10:07 AM
Typical Buck

For new sausage makers I would suggest you just do small batches, less than 5 lbs until you get the spice mix you like. Sort of like reloading you taylor the load for your rifle, taylor the sausage spicing to your likes. It may take a few batches to get it where you want it. Everyone is different and the spices I like may be too much or not enough for you. Experiment a little . Thats the beauty of making your own sausage. Once you get what you want then you can make bigger batches.

Quick Reply: Deer Sausage recipes?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.