Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Camp Cooking and Game Processing
 How soon can you eat deer meat? >

How soon can you eat deer meat?

Community
Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

How soon can you eat deer meat?

Old 08-10-2007, 12:44 PM

Default RE: How soon can you eat deer meat?

The Tenderloins are the small strips of meat on the inside cavity or back bone down toward the hips. The Backstrap or Loins or Rib Eyes are the two large strips of meat running down the outside of the backbone. The Filet Mignot are the two medium strips on the inside of the backbone up in the rib cage. Here is a simple butchering page.
http://www.wideworldofhunting.com/cutsforbutchering.htm#E
Eric S. Stacy
Old 08-18-2007, 07:12 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: How soon can you eat deer meat?

Kydeerhunter, do you think the Inidans let their meat age when they were hungry? Seriously though you can eat it the minute its down if you want to .
Old 01-24-2018, 12:09 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by mohunter09
I let my han atleast 2 days, and Ranger I would not hang my deer by the back legs, or put ice in it unless it wasn't that coldand still I see no reason, but I hang mine by the neck for 2-3 days after gutting, and washing out the inside with a garden hose, open up the chest good, and after those days I cut off the head legs, and skin it then we de-bone the whole deer and freeze it for a couple days and start eating after we let it sit another day in salt, water and vinegar this gets the game taste out of it, some processing plants screw you over by not doing this process it makes the meat taste hundred percent better.
What happens if you hang the deer by it's back legs?
Old 01-24-2018, 01:13 PM
Boone & Crockett

Not a blessed thing. Ever take a walk through a butcher shop walk in cooler? The animals are hung by the tendon in the hock of the hind legs, neck down. I don't know where some of this nonsense comes from but you do not need to soak you venison it in salt water or vinegar or buttermilk or any other cockamamie. My deer are hung by the hind legs for 6 or 7 days, because I like to age the meat, I think it tastes better and is more tender that way. However you do not have to do anything except take care of the carcass, butcher it and properly wrap it, preferably vacuum packed and it will be fine.
Old 04-01-2018, 12:44 AM
Super Moderator

Old thread...

But I've had tenderloins cooking before I even had the skin off.... They might have still been quivering had I not cut them out.

Those typically go straight into the kitchen while I start skinning out the deer. The rest I let hang as long as temperatures cooperate

-Jake