Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

Cleaning Really Nasty Castiron

Old 02-05-2007, 08:34 PM
DM

Default Cleaning Really Nasty Castiron

I've cleaned up quite a bit of FREE cast iron cookware that was just horrible with rust and gunk.. I thought i'd show you how bad it can be, and still clean up just fine.[/align][/align] I just got after it with a cup brush on my side grinder[/align][/align][/align][/align][/align][/align] A couple still had some deep rust in them, so i used soap, water and a stainless scouring pad to clean that out.[/align][/align][/align][/align] once that was done, i covered them with Crisco[/align][/align][/align][/align] and put them in my BBQ grill to season[/align][/align][/align][/align][/align][/align] After the seasoning was done, they came out looking super and worked like they should![/align][/align][/align][/align] I do like to cook bacon in them the first couple times after cleaning and seasoning...[/align][/align] Hope you enjoyed the picts...[/align][/align] DM[/align]
Old 02-05-2007, 11:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Cleaning Really Nasty Castiron

I cook mostly off the wood burning stove depending on the season and the only thing I ever use is cast iron and Stainless. No teflon crap.
Be careful in useing the wire wheel as there may be a possibility that the bristols may contain lead or galvanolieum and could cause health problems.

Bobby
Old 02-06-2007, 09:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Dm It looks like they cleaned up well 4 ya

When you used thecrisco did your pans come out sticky? Mine did and I rewashed them and used bacon.

Old 02-06-2007, 02:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

http://www.kitchenemporium.com/info/castiron.html
Old 02-06-2007, 03:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

I clean my old iron skillets with soap and water...they're still fine after 30 years of that, so I'll continue.

That said...I cook every day...and the EXPENSIVE teflon is incredible. It blows iron out of the water in my opinion. I still use my iron, but to me it has taken a back seat.
Old 02-06-2007, 09:25 PM
DM

The cup brush is stainless

I don't use soap to clean my "seasoned" castiron because it takes out the seasoning! Boiling water is all you need.

No the pans are not sticky... I don't think you used a high enough heat if your's were...

I cook every day too, and i no longer use teflon pans, i've found something much, MUCH better!! It's a titanium coating that's put on with "plazma" that's also oven safe to 500*!!! (The cover is Pyrex or you could go higher) It bolws the BEST teflon out of the water!!$$$$, so cheapskates need not apply!! hee he heee

BTW, if ya gotta ask, you can't afford it

DM

Old 02-07-2007, 09:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

I cook every day too, and i no longer use teflon pans, i've found something much, MUCH better!! It's a titanium coating that's put on with "plazma" that's also oven safe to 500*!!! (The cover is Pyrex or you could go higher) It bolws the BEST teflon out of the water!!$$$$, so cheapskates need not apply!! hee he heee
How about a link or a name?

Old 02-07-2007, 05:20 PM
DM

It truely is amazing cookware... http://www.plasmaic.com/about.html

DM
Old 02-11-2007, 12:17 AM
Fork Horn

i've gotten pans that looked a lot worst than your pictured one and make them look like new. when you build your campfire, just put the old pot under the wood as you build it. let the pot stay in the fire till it burns down. it will burn and flake off all the old junk and crud, and it will come out looking like new. just season like it was new and you have yourself a great cooking pan. have stocked the kitchen with cast iron pots,pans, griddles, cornbread molds-all bought for near nothing at yard sells. people just don't know what they are almost giving away--Bill
Old 02-17-2007, 07:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Cast iron cookware is the best way to go. If it's seasoned and cared for properly, it will last forever. I have cast iron skillets and dutch ovens that I use all the time. Hot tap water and a plastic scouring pad is all I ever use to clean them and then I recoat them with Pam cooking spray after they're completely dry. I read somewhere that you shouldn't use soap on cast iron because it gets into the pores of the cast iron.

Quick Reply: Cleaning Really Nasty Castiron

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.