Community
Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

Kingfish

Old 07-28-2006, 02:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Kingfish

I just got back from fishing last weekend and I have several Kingfish fillets. What are some of your favorite ways to cook them. THe fillets are about 1-1/2" thick and about 12" long. Most people seem to recommend cooking them on the grill, but I wanted to see if anyobdy had any other suggestions.
Old 07-28-2006, 06:27 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Kingfish

We don't fillet King Fish down here, we steak them and coat them with Drake Flouring and fry the steaks in hot vegetable oil. We leave one vertebrae in each steak instead of four.

To steak a fish, clean out the stomach cavity, snip off all the fins (you can leave the tail to use as a handle), and start slicing vertically through the body just behind the gill plate. Keep about three vertebrae in each steak - keeping the steaks at least 4 inches thick to allow for proper cooking - you don't want them to get done too fast or they tend to dry out. Grilling, broiling, or smoking are the best way to prepare steaks.

Old 07-28-2006, 08:15 PM
Dominant Buck

Kingfish
Kingfish steaks with garlic-herb butter

INGREDIENTS

[ul][*]100g butter, room temperature [*]1 large clove garlic, peeled and crushed [*]2 tbsp parsley, chopped [*]pinch cayenne pepper [*]1 tsp lemon juice [*]4x 2-3 cm thick kingfish steaks, rinsed and patted dry (you could substitute the kingfish with groper, salmon, tuna, lemon fish or kawahai) [/ul]METHOD

Prepare herb-butter by mixing all ingredients (except the kingfish) together until well blended, or blend in a food processor, using a metal chopping blade.

Shape butter into log and wrap in plastic. Chill. This can be prepared up to three days in advance and stored in the refrigerator (or frozen for up to two months).

If using frozen fish, cover and allow to thaw at room temperature for 30 minutes, or preferably, leave overnight in the refrigerator.

To cook fish, lightly oil grill-rack or large non-stick frying pan and pre-heat over medium heat. Cook steaks for five minutes.

Turn fish and place thin slice of herb butter on top of each steak. Continue cooking approximately three to four minutes longer or until fish is cooked through, and butter is melted to cover steaks. Do not over-cook, or fish will be dry.

Serve with lemon wedges and green salad.

Serves 4.
Old 07-31-2006, 10:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks Rebel, I'll have to try that. We are getting alot more of them and I wanted different ways to cook them.
Old 08-05-2006, 04:59 PM

We soak ours overnight in buttermilk. Then roll in a batter of cornmeal and mustard together. Then deepfry. Good eatin.