Community
Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

Smokers

Old 11-22-2005, 02:10 PM

Default Smokers

Is the little or big chief smokers any good. I would like to pick one up. All I am looking for is somthing that is easy to use and can holda moderate amount of meat.

Also dose anyone have any good books in mind on sausage and jerky making.
Old 11-23-2005, 09:27 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Smokers

I have a smaller version of this one:
Masterbuilt 7 in 1 smoker/grill

It works very well and is easy to use and take care of . They also have a stainless steel version for $229 . I don't know about the model you asked about since I've never seen one , but I had a charcoal only smoker for a couple of years before I got the one I have now and I'll never own another one . Mine uses either charcoal or propane , I've done both in it but prefer the ease of use , cleanup , and controllability of propane . The unit performs flawlessly with both though and packs down into a fairly small bag for travel .

You may also want to look at electric smokers , they seem to have a larger variety of sizes . This one is fairly representative of the breed and probably the right size and price range for you:
20 lb. Electric smoker
Old 11-23-2005, 01:29 PM

Thank Kevin1, gave me a good start.
Old 11-28-2005, 09:01 AM

How much work are you will to put into one?

I got a free smoker per say.

I went down toa localcaterer and asked if they had a food warmer that didn't work anymore. These units are about 5 ft tall x 2 ft wide x 6 ft long. They did and were happy to help me load it to get rid of it. Then I looked in the paper, at garage sales and my friends to find a small wood burner (free of course).

The building of the smoker:
I raised the food warmer (smoker) until I could run the stove pipe directly into the unit, (about 2 feet). Then I cut a hole in the side of the food warmer (smoker) large enough to accept the stove pipe. I cut 3" slots in each side of the stove pipe and ran it all the way across the bottom of the "smoker" and attached another peice of straightand one elbow stove pipe which is attached to my woodburner. You will needto cuta 3" hole in the top of the unit for a smoke stack.

This unit is insulated so it holds the temp without having to use a buch of wood and it already had stainless steel racks in it so it was easly to clean when needed. I have already coldsmoked 4 bacons that I cure myself and one turkey, hot smoked (cooked) ribs, brisquets, chickens, turkeys and all sorts of stuff. For a little work I have a better smoker than I could have bought and the added thing is it is all stainless steel except the wood burner. I smoke and cook by indirect heat and can fit about 200lbs of sausage in it.
Old 12-04-2005, 05:00 PM

I have a Weber that I use for hamburgers, steak, etc. When the coals burn down I throw strips of venison on one side, placing all coals on the other end. I keep an eye on it and control the smoke/temp with the top just off the edge and the vents on top. Also, add wood, small pieces, add water spray when needed. Makes good use of the leftover coals and produces Great jerky.
Old 12-04-2005, 06:51 PM
BS

I have a big cheif. I put it in a wood box with 1" foam board around it and a reastat leading to the burner. I gets too hot, so I turn it down, even in the winter. I have a temp gauge stuck thru the side , too keep an eye on the 'temp'
Old 12-05-2005, 01:42 AM
Fork Horn

I have a big chief electric smoker. Very reliable and easy to change wood chips. I purchased thebig chief because of the amount of jerky that can be smoked at one time. Depending on what your going to use it for will determine whether this is for you. Good luck!!