Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Camp Cooking and Game Processing
 How long do I grill a turkey breast? >

How long do I grill a turkey breast?

Community
Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

How long do I grill a turkey breast?

Old 08-22-2005, 03:51 AM
Dominant Buck

Default How long do I grill a turkey breast?

Good day friends,
I bought a 8 lb turkey breast from a Walmart Super Store. { Honey Suckle} The last time I cooked one it wasn't quite done in the middle. I generally put the bird on the side of the grill where the burner is off and put the other burner on low. If I do this can someone please tell me about how long it should take to cook?
I appreciate it.
Brother Chuck
Old 08-22-2005, 04:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: How long do I grill a turkey breast?

Same as in the oven. It should say on the package. Also, a quick read thermometer is a must for all uschefs.
Old 08-22-2005, 05:27 AM
Dominant Buck

Thank you sir,
I'll be cooking her next Sunday .
Brother Chuck
Old 08-22-2005, 10:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've never been a huge fan of turkey - but since I started grilling it about 10 yrs ago - I'm Lovin It.

My bro in law is a long haul trucker. He brought back about 100lbs of turkey breast on Saturday because of broken seal on a few bags. His dispatcher said "get rid of them".
I inherited 4 bags of whole split breast

Anyway - I do all this on a Weber (any grille that is dome shaped).1st soak some Hickory chips and set aside.
I fire up the coals on 2 edges of grille,keeping center open for indirect cooking method. I brush the breast with conola oil,rub in kosher salt,pepper,garlic powder and last, some smoke mesquite grille seasoning.

Back on the Topic Question;
Lay the breast in center of grille and cook each side for 15 mins and continue to turn every 10 minutes or so. The last 20 minutes I throw the smoke chips on coals. Cooking takes approx 1hr +-. I cook it to 160 -165 degrees max. They will tell you 170+ deg but never tell you it continues to cook for 15 minutes+- after you remove from grille/oven (dryed out white meat[X(]

As a bonus - after the turkey was done I threw on a big ole Venison steak.

I'm drooling on the key board just talkin about it[8D]

I do the same thing with whole 12-15 lb turkey for T Day or Xmas dinner every year. For whole turkey I put a tin foil pan of seasoned water under the grate and place turkey on a roasting rack.

It might sound like a lengthy process - but you'll never cook another turkey in an oven!
Old 08-22-2005, 12:40 PM
Dominant Buck

Thank you sir,
Brother Chuck
Old 08-29-2005, 05:33 AM
Dominant Buck

Hey ,
The turkey breast was a grand slam hit among my family and friends. Another hunter { Strut} had also told me to put a pan of water under it. Talk about a moist bird........Man it was good. I cooked it on a gas grill. It took 3 hours and 40 mim. I tried maintaining the heat between 300- 350 kind of tough on my grill. I seared it first and then put it over the side with the burner off. Super moist. I used a meat thermometer to help me out 165 degrees was done through and through.
Chuck

Old 08-30-2005, 09:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like you got the hang of it. Next time buy a syringe for injecting bird with your own spiced up flavored broth.
Old 09-01-2005, 10:27 AM
Dominant Buck

Thanks I'll try that
Chuck
Old 09-06-2005, 12:27 PM
Dominant Buck

What you described , slow indirect heat cooking is actually true BBQing , grilling is performed over high direct heat . Sautee' or common back yard cooking are good examples . Griling toughens poultry , so the method you chose was correct .
Old 09-06-2005, 05:32 PM
Typical Buck

man aj, i'm drooling over here

Quick Reply: How long do I grill a turkey breast?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.