Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Hanging your big game?

Old 04-03-2003, 07:29 PM

Default Hanging your big game?

Hey guys, is there a " right" way of hanging moose or elk outside of camp? Some tell me it should be heads up and others tell me it' s heads down. I personnally like the heads up method because the rain tends to glide off the hide as opposed to getting inside the hairs and heating up my meat. What do you guys think? Let me know.
Regards, Ghunter.
Old 04-03-2003, 07:56 PM

Default RE: Hanging your big game?

i like to hang them by the feet and then let them hang in 2 pieces for about 1 week or more after i am done skinning it
Old 04-03-2003, 08:22 PM

I hang them by the back legs, ecspecially deer, easier to cape and when your cutting them up i think its alot easier to cut sections off this way.
Old 04-03-2003, 08:23 PM

Hey invector do you run Outlaws up that way out of Burlington?
Old 04-03-2003, 09:53 PM
Boone & Crockett

I hang mine in four pieces. They are alot lighter and easier to get up there. They also cool alot faster being in pieces and with the hide off of the meat. If it' s just a little too warm outside then that hide on the meat can be a very BAD thing. They aren' t able to survive winters cause they have thin skin and hair.
Old 04-03-2003, 10:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hang them head down, skin them, and cover with a 100% cotton reusable game bag, or bags depending if it is in two or four pieces.
Old 04-03-2003, 11:16 PM

bigbulls,thanx for the tip, i' ll try that next year(god willing). I know the last few years it' s a little warm in my garage in mid Oct.. Three years ago I had a fan and blocks of ice 24-7 to cool the meat.
Old 04-04-2003, 12:20 AM
Boone & Crockett

I don' t know how far you are away from a road, but if you' re a ways back there it sure makes getting the elk out of the woods alot easier too. When you Quarter the animal make sure that you put them in game bags to keep any bugs and dirt off the meat.
Old 04-04-2003, 10:20 AM
Typical Buck

I don' t hang my animals et all. Don' t know thet its legal. ' Sposed to use a rifle. Least thet' s how I unnerstand it.
Old 04-04-2003, 10:36 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: BeaverJack

I don' t hang my animals et all. Don' t know thet its legal. ' Sposed to use a rifle. Least thet' s how I unnerstand it.
I prefer a bow and arrow but that' s just me

Quick Reply: Hanging your big game?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.