Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

[Deleted]

Old 04-21-2005, 07:14 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 04-21-2005, 07:18 AM

Default RE: How did all this get started anyhow?

I was lucky and grew up in a faimly and extended family that hunted. My grandfather would take me fishing after we finished lobstering when I was a young boy.

I guess to sum it up, it was a special gift that was given to me. I only hope I do as good of a job sharing it with my boys as my parents and grandparents did.
Old 04-21-2005, 08:34 AM
Fork Horn

most of my earliest memories are hunting and fishing.
when i was very young, my dad let me ride along when he hunted, as well as mom and my little bro. talking 2 or 3 years old. dad road hunted nearly all the time, so i alwyas got to be there for the kills. (weve since got him out of the truck, years ago here in wyoming road hunting was all that was necessary). off season, we took drives in the evening up the creek to count deer. my whole family has always hunted. grandparents, great grandparents, everybody. every summer we camped on cold creek, spent every weekend, and most long weekends, except when we went to the high country to look at elk. my grandparents camped on that creek the whole summer, only coming down once or twice a month. we lived on trout we caught, mostly with worms and hoppers.

it is all i have ever known, thanks dad.
brad
Old 04-21-2005, 08:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

I too got an early start thanks to my dad. From scouting walks in the woods, to summer time hikes along trout streams just looking for wildlife. I never missed a trip to ride around and look for deer.

It's funny though how my brother and I, despite having the same upbringing, are totally different when it comes to the outdoors. I live for it, he could pretty much care less.
Old 04-21-2005, 09:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'm the same way. Most of my earliest memories are related to hunting and fishing. My dad and all my uncles were hunters but they were gun nuts. I'm a gun nut too, in my own way. It was my grampa that told me about my Indian heritage and got me started with bows and arrows. I might be a gun nut, but I'm a bow-n-arrow freak!

I was the same way, Bowdacious, with ol' Kurt and the American Sportsman, but I was always watching the opening of the show, with my fingers crossed, hoping Fred Bear would be on.
Old 04-21-2005, 09:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

I grew up in a family of hunters. My dad hunts all the time and him and I hunt together any chance we get.
Old 04-21-2005, 10:07 AM
Typical Buck

noone in my family actively hunted. my grandfather did, but he retired his gun before I knew what was going on. I attended a boy scout camp and archery was one of the things they did. well, the rest is pretty much history. my neighbor in pa helped me along, but I didn't gun hunt very frequently at all. didn't kill a deer with a gun until two seasons ago. I love bowhunting, nothing like it to me in the world.
Old 04-22-2005, 03:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nobody in my family hunted or fished when I was a kid....
but, I loved watching Kurt Gowdy and the American Sportsman.....also watched the Mutual of Omahas....Wild Kingdom. The shows were in black and white and there was no "remote" if that gives you a clue to how long ago that was!
I enjoyed the same shows in the same fashion. A remote? That was some far off the beaten path place.
Cable? That was used to barracade someones driveway leading to their hunting cabin.
Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom? All I can say is....thank god for Jim or Marlin would have been worm food by the second show.

I did have the pleasure of growing up in a hunting and fishing familiy.
Old 04-22-2005, 10:51 AM

Mom and Dad put a baby gate across the top bunk of the camper to keep me from falling off. I think I have only missed 4 hunting seasons since I was born in '70.

Thanks Dad and Mom.

My Daughter was in her first hunting camp at 6 months, and can't wait to get big enough to go with Dad and shoot a Deer/Pig/Elk/Turkey.
Old 04-22-2005, 03:04 PM
Typical Buck

I grew up in NYC all my life,
none of my family members ever hunted,
neither any of my freinds,
always loved the outdoors though,
and after i purchased my land upstate(48 acres) it was natural for me to get out and hunt.
still love to see peoples expressions when i load my car at home in NYC decked out in camo.
people actually whisper to eachother like"thats a hunter"?

Quick Reply: [Deleted]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.