HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   would you shoot a coyote in hunting season ? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/97901-would-you-shoot-coyote-hunting-season.html)

datamax 04-20-2005 01:44 AM

would you shoot a coyote in hunting season ?

You're on a deer stand, and a coyote comes by and its legal to shoot.

Would you ? Why ? Would you eat it ? Keep the fur ? The skull ?

cardeer 04-20-2005 02:21 AM

RE: would you shoot a coyote in hunting season ?

Yes, to many around ,Keep the hide ,Make something out of the skull,Probably a car roof ornament.Use the paws and tail for necklace and the neighbors pit bulls will eat the meat.

4wheeldrive 04-20-2005 04:21 AM

yes i would shoot it take some pictures to show it off.

NY Bowhunter 04-20-2005 04:32 AM

bye-bye yote

nodog 04-20-2005 05:13 AM

ORIGINAL: cardeer

Yes, to many around ,Keep the hide ,Make something out of the skull,Probably a car roof ornament.Use the paws and tail for necklace and the neighbors pit bulls will eat the meat.
Definetly would keep people away.:D

Xtec Shooter 04-20-2005 05:47 AM

Without question I would. I would take some pics and then take it back out in the woods for critter food. Way too many of them running around and the fawn mortality rate is out of control.

johnl 04-20-2005 05:52 AM

yep shoot it and leave it for critter food

silentassassin 04-20-2005 06:12 AM

Would you ? Why ? Would you eat it ? Keep the fur ? The skull ?
Yes.

Because they are overpopulated and we are their only natural predators and because they kill a large amount of quail and rabbitts and even deer.

No.

No.

hunter25 04-20-2005 06:17 AM

In a hearbeat...

Would actually look into mounting it...well, I mean, take it to the taxidermist. Rob in PA had one done and it looks awesome.

Other reasons for killing a coyote have already been mentioned. Natural predetaor around these parts and one less coyote in our woods is a good thing.

IL_BOW_MAN 04-20-2005 06:20 AM

Everytime I see one I attemp to shoot them. I have one hide ready to be picked up and the second one I shot went bad, my grandmother died and I didn't get it skinned in time. I have the skull to the first one on my shelf in the garage and the skull to the second one in the freezer. The bodies sometimes go into the back of a friends truck when he least suspects it!!

adams 04-20-2005 06:37 AM

It depends where I'm hunting. Around home where there are a ton of deer and not many yotes I'd probably pass. Funny thing is I rarely see yotes, It's usually the neighbors dog that's tempting me.

Up north where I hunt where the deer are fewer and the yotes are more prevelent I wouldn't hesitate. I don't eat yote but have a pelt I wear on my arm as a puppet. It's great for scaring my boys and "attacking" my cats. In fact everyone in my house like it except for my wife.:eek: Go figure.

Charlie P 04-20-2005 06:59 AM

I'll shoot them whenever I can.

Snood Slapper 04-20-2005 07:15 AM

I try to do it, I have done it, and I will again, and this is why. Anyone who thinks a coyote will not take a deer is dead wrong. I can't count how many I've called in with a doe/fawn bleat call. I shot one last year coming into a bleat that maybe weighed 25 lbs. Not very big for trying to take down a deer. I also called in a bobcat the same way, the same place, the next day.

I've also called in several while turkey hunting. One year I even had one take my decoy. He dropped it after 30 yards or so and I yelled at him, but nonetheless...

kevin1 04-20-2005 07:19 AM

ORIGINAL: NY Bowhunter

bye-bye yote
Ditto ,
they play hell with the fawns here , and sometimes take down adult deer too . 'Yotes = scum .

Medic167 04-20-2005 07:24 AM

You betcha I send that critter off to critter heaven.:D

rybohunter 04-20-2005 07:39 AM

In a heartbeat. Because thier numbers are growing in my areas and I want to slow that process. I'd either get it mounted or the fur tanned, depending on the money I had at the time and how nice the fur was. If the hide was REALLY crappy, I might do the skull thing.

snowrider 04-20-2005 07:56 AM

rybohunter:

In a heartbeat. Because thier numbers are growing in my areas and I want to slow that process. I'd either get it mounted or the fur tanned, depending on the money I had at the time and how nice the fur was. If the hide was REALLY crappy, I might do the skull thing.
Ditto. There's a bounty on them here 'cause they do so much damage to waterfowl nesting. You can shoot 'em anytime with a small game license.

Don

burniegoeasily 04-20-2005 08:04 AM

Yep. No deer will come around if a yote is there. Also, we have way to many running around here. I would keep a pelt, except most of the ones around here are eat up with mange. If it is simply passing through, and I think it is not hanging around, I wont mess up my hunt by shooting it. Ill let it go. They are a problem around here like feral cats. They kill peoples pets, and spread mange and other boogers as well.

JARED_LA 04-20-2005 08:18 AM

Without hesitation! Shooting a coyote is a sight to see. I've shot 2 of them. My first kill was at 40 yds with about 6" of fletching showing. The coyote spun around and bit the arrow until it broke off and ran about 50 yds. It was a rush!

Sniper151 04-20-2005 08:50 AM

Yes - because he got too close - no - no - no:D

nubo 04-20-2005 08:54 AM

Datamax!

Without a doubt ,I'd shoot it any chance I got .These critter's scare everything away deer,turk's what ever you have in the bush you hunt ,will dissappear while the coyote's are around .
I'd leave the main carcas in the bush ,but if the coat is fine and hasn't got the mainge like alot of them do .I'd have it in the taxi .

nubo

Arthur P 04-20-2005 08:57 AM

Would I shoot a coyote when deer hunting? DUH! If a coyote comes along, it sure cuts into my chances of getting a deer on that trail, that day. Target of opportunity. Also, I could use a coyote hide back quiver to hang on the other side of my bow rack from my fox hide quiver.;)

121553 04-20-2005 09:59 AM

I guess I am the exception here as I really have no reason to shoot them. I'm not going to eat them and I find enough coyotoes carcasses to save a skull or two. I see them quite a bit here and have them come to my salt lick out from my window and I just enjoy watching them. They have never poseed any threat to my hunting. Bobby

IL Rancher 04-20-2005 10:17 AM

We don't kill coyotes unless they are causing a problem. It is very ancedotale evidence, I know, but from 2000-2004 we had no livestock kills from coyotes. Not a one. A neighbor shot the whole pack up in October of 2004 (while tresspassing...Great..) By January a new pack had moved in, a pretty young one at that, and all of the sudden livestock started getting attacked...As of now that pack is gone too (A few well placed 223's from another neighbor) and the attacks stopped. When you have a pack in the area that isn't causing you trouble you leave them the heck alone. Rabiit, Quail, Pheasent and deer populations are all way the heck up so it wasn't like the yotes needed to eat sheep this year. And yes, I saw a yote take one of our lambs so I know it was them and not anything else and the footprints were everywhere In Jan and Feb.

Red Hawk 04-20-2005 10:24 AM

Yeah i would. I'd love to have one mounted. If not, then keep the skull and fur.

hoyt3 04-20-2005 11:27 AM

I have a hard time shooting something that I would not use. but at the same time, I have to agree with almost all of the reasons posted. yotes are becoming more numerous here, and the deer herd is not that big. yes, I'd tag him.

MNRut 04-20-2005 11:33 AM

Every chance I get!

I have had too many hunts ruined because of coyotes. Right around the time in the evening when things should start happening a couple of coyotes come busting out into the fields and run everything out![:@]

I'm not sure what I would do with him. I guess it depends on what condition he's in.

Hunter06FlKy 04-20-2005 01:27 PM

i would definately shoot it. not only for the hide and skull but they do a lot of damage to the deer population and they kill a large amount of calves where i hunt and where i'm going to hunt. a land owner that is letting me hunt her land wants me to shoot any yote i see. then you can always put the meat out in a feild and use it for yote bait and other predators.

NY Bowhunter 04-20-2005 03:35 PM

ok data what's the punchline? I sense some sort of earthshattering revelation of a debate forthcoming. Too simple of a question you posed. You're up to more than getting answers that you already know. What's the deal?

thesource 04-20-2005 03:38 PM

I wouldn't shoot it. If I don't want to eat it, I don't shoot at it.

Same reason I let a black bear start up my ladder stand 2 years ago without shooting - that was exciting!

IL-Cornfed 04-20-2005 04:07 PM

I take every 'yote I can! I have kept a few of their skulls and have a shoulder mount of another. They are indeed bowhunting trophies! BUT why in the world would you ask if anybody ate them???? I've NEVER heard of such a thing??? [:'(]

extreme1 04-20-2005 04:11 PM

Probably wouldent shoot it.I definately wont eat it and I definately wont shoot one just to show it off.
We have enough deer around to share with the wildlife and ourselves.I really dont think the coyotes or wolves pose that much of a threat on our deer population.

Mr. Bowhunt/Fish 04-20-2005 04:16 PM

hello fellow bowhunters, i am new to this forum.

yes, i would shoot one with a quickness with my bow!! it's a lot harder to get one with a bow down here, heck, sometimes it's hard to shoot them with a rifle (won't stand still, they just run across the road!!)

it's a long deer season and i don't think it would mess up the area for too long.

illbowhunter 04-20-2005 04:53 PM

NEVER!

Unless he happens to get in my sights.;)

We have to many of the *&#** yotes around our place. I had a nice buck coming right down the trail upwind to me when all of a sudden it makes a U-turn. Next thing I see is a yote coming up the trail from the opposite way.[:@] That one did get in my sights and the muzzy did a number on him.

johnch 04-20-2005 04:56 PM

Yes .
I got 3 bow hunting last year.

Johnch

Allseasonhunter7 04-20-2005 05:07 PM

doublelung em for sure

datamax 04-20-2005 05:58 PM

NY Bowhunter - I'd shoot every coyote that comes near me and not think twice. Since trapping became unprofitable and unpolitically correct, the population has boomed.

My point ? Theres a thread on the political forum on feral cats and whether we, as hunters, should kill them like coyotes if there is an overpopulation. I agree with most of the responses here that its up to us to control the varmits, and thats my point. Feral cats are varmits and if theres a overpopulation of them, they need thinned.

Xtec Shooter 04-20-2005 07:33 PM

Datamax,

I can't believe that I'm saying this, but for once I agree with everything you are saying. ;) Yotes are varmints. There's no reason to bring up the fact, like some have, about not shooting what your not going to eat. Varmints need to be shot to keep their #'s in check. That's why they aren't considered a game animal.

datamax 04-20-2005 09:01 PM

Xtec Shooter - because humans have destroyed the natural balance of the ecosystem, and because tree huggers do anything BUT help keep the balance, I see it as the Sportsman/Hunter's responsibilty to keep a balance. Killing varmits is something that NEEDS done, trapping did it for years and with that sport almost extinct I'm all for shooting coyotes and varmits when the opportunity arises. I don't like killing things without utlizing them - I'd keep the fur, maybe the skulls .......... but the reasons of keeping them in check is enough to jusitfy it IMO

mez 04-20-2005 11:39 PM

Without a doubt. Far too many of them where I hunt. Depends on how much damage to the pelt, but would likely leave it where it died.