Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 would you shoot a coyote in hunting season ? >

would you shoot a coyote in hunting season ?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

would you shoot a coyote in hunting season ?

Old 04-20-2005, 08:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: would you shoot a coyote in hunting season ?

Datamax!

Without a doubt ,I'd shoot it any chance I got .These critter's scare everything away deer,turk's what ever you have in the bush you hunt ,will dissappear while the coyote's are around .
I'd leave the main carcas in the bush ,but if the coat is fine and hasn't got the mainge like alot of them do .I'd have it in the taxi .

nubo
Old 04-20-2005, 08:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

Would I shoot a coyote when deer hunting? DUH! If a coyote comes along, it sure cuts into my chances of getting a deer on that trail, that day. Target of opportunity. Also, I could use a coyote hide back quiver to hang on the other side of my bow rack from my fox hide quiver.
Old 04-20-2005, 09:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

I guess I am the exception here as I really have no reason to shoot them. I'm not going to eat them and I find enough coyotoes carcasses to save a skull or two. I see them quite a bit here and have them come to my salt lick out from my window and I just enjoy watching them. They have never poseed any threat to my hunting. Bobby
Old 04-20-2005, 10:17 AM

We don't kill coyotes unless they are causing a problem. It is very ancedotale evidence, I know, but from 2000-2004 we had no livestock kills from coyotes. Not a one. A neighbor shot the whole pack up in October of 2004 (while tresspassing...Great..) By January a new pack had moved in, a pretty young one at that, and all of the sudden livestock started getting attacked...As of now that pack is gone too (A few well placed 223's from another neighbor) and the attacks stopped. When you have a pack in the area that isn't causing you trouble you leave them the heck alone. Rabiit, Quail, Pheasent and deer populations are all way the heck up so it wasn't like the yotes needed to eat sheep this year. And yes, I saw a yote take one of our lambs so I know it was them and not anything else and the footprints were everywhere In Jan and Feb.
Old 04-20-2005, 10:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

Yeah i would. I'd love to have one mounted. If not, then keep the skull and fur.
Old 04-20-2005, 11:27 AM
Typical Buck

I have a hard time shooting something that I would not use. but at the same time, I have to agree with almost all of the reasons posted. yotes are becoming more numerous here, and the deer herd is not that big. yes, I'd tag him.
Old 04-20-2005, 11:33 AM

Every chance I get!

I have had too many hunts ruined because of coyotes. Right around the time in the evening when things should start happening a couple of coyotes come busting out into the fields and run everything out![:@]

I'm not sure what I would do with him. I guess it depends on what condition he's in.
Old 04-20-2005, 01:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

i would definately shoot it. not only for the hide and skull but they do a lot of damage to the deer population and they kill a large amount of calves where i hunt and where i'm going to hunt. a land owner that is letting me hunt her land wants me to shoot any yote i see. then you can always put the meat out in a feild and use it for yote bait and other predators.
Old 04-20-2005, 03:35 PM
Boone & Crockett

ok data what's the punchline? I sense some sort of earthshattering revelation of a debate forthcoming. Too simple of a question you posed. You're up to more than getting answers that you already know. What's the deal?
Old 04-20-2005, 03:38 PM

I wouldn't shoot it. If I don't want to eat it, I don't shoot at it.

Same reason I let a black bear start up my ladder stand 2 years ago without shooting - that was exciting!

Quick Reply: would you shoot a coyote in hunting season ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.