Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 First year Bow Hunting Project >

First year Bow Hunting Project

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

First year Bow Hunting Project

Old 04-19-2005, 07:03 PM

Default First year Bow Hunting Project

At my school you must do a project called a Senior Project. For this you must have 100 hours of work and 20 of those hours must be with a mentor. You are supposed to do something that you have never done before and something that will benefit you. I would like to do bow hunting. I usually hunt with a rifle but would like to learn how to use a bow

First of all you have to tell the approximate cost of your project. This is the first place i need your help. I know i need a bow and all of the other accesories. So if you could possibly yell me the cost of a new bow and the best bow for a beginner. I am 17 years old.

second you needed to have different phases for your project. I wa thinking for the first phase i could learn parts of bow and safety. second phase could be practice. Third phase could be tournaments (are these hard to find and enter) and lastly using my new skills to hunt.

Any help you could give me on the bow and maybe some corrections with my phases would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-19-2005, 07:25 PM

Default RE: First year Bow Hunting Project

Welcome to the sport Buckfever. This sounds like it is going to be an awsome senior project for you! Archery is a blast and very addictive.

As far as a new bow goes, you can check around your local archery pro-shops and get prices! Bow prices range anywhere from $150-$750. Most lower-end bows cost around $300! The Hoyt Ultra-Mag, Browning Tornado, and Martin Tracer Mag are some nice bows that I have had the chance to mess with and these bows are around $300 (bare bow). Definetly head to your local pro-shop, tell them about your project and get some help, they should be able to set you up with the right bow!

As far as the stages go, they seem good to me! Tournaments aren't very hard to find at all and you should easily be able to enter!

I am sure that others will chime in with more good info! Good luck and have fun with archery.
Old 04-19-2005, 07:50 PM

Buckfever about the best thing In My opinion is a Outfiter package from Parker find them on the web. A respectiable package Bow, sight, arrow rest, arrows, hunting quiver, rear sight. All you need is a release and stabilizer you are off. I priced a 2005 Challenger II package today around $450. Where do you live in Ga? I am in Warner Robins south of Macon. let me know if you need help!
Old 04-20-2005, 05:51 PM

Man High School must have changed.

Back in my day senior projects were designed to help make the world a better place. Most people had to volunteer at a soup kitchen or old folks home. I thought I had it easy teaching kids how to sail during the day and bone'n hot lifeguards at night (I spent a month in Michigan working at a summer camp.) But... I have to say you have me beat with the bowhunting thing.
Old 04-20-2005, 06:22 PM

at my school in addition to this every year you must also work 20 hors of volunteer work too
Old 04-20-2005, 09:58 PM
Fork Horn

most important, go to your nearest pro shop, to get fitted right. thats the most important thing.
as far as price, you can pretty much spend a ton if ya want to, but it isnt necessary. most of the big name manufacturers have entry level deals, which are still nice bows. i know p.s.e. always has a set up that is affordable. maybe your local proshop will have a nice used bow? ive been doing this for 25 years, and my "new" bow is used. doenst bother me.
i think you will really enjoy this. shooting arrows is a lot of fun. addicting too. bowhunting is the ultimate. if you have gun hunted, you will do fine in the archery woods. ya just got to be a bit closer, thats all

good luck
brad
Old 05-03-2005, 07:14 PM

I am just now learning about bow hunting to. I have heard that it is very fun. and it gives you like twice the hunting season than usual. I bought a PSE DeerHunter at $199. It was the cheapest thing I can find. If you deck it out with all the accessories (depending on how much you want to spend) it will cost any where from $200 to $350- not including the price fo your bow. make sure you find out the draw length you need and how many pounds of draw weight you feel comfortable with. anyway, I hope you have fun.
Old 05-03-2005, 08:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

Or you could just forget about hunting and go boning like Kodiak.