Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Got my BUCK back...... PICS!!!!!! >

Got my BUCK back...... PICS!!!!!!

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Got my BUCK back...... PICS!!!!!!

Old 04-15-2005, 02:21 PM

Default Got my BUCK back...... PICS!!!!!!

Well guys, even though I didn't shoot this buck with my bow, I thought that it was relavent to post here considering the events that lead to me taking this deer. As most of you remember, I was part of ILNYPAKY-EH in the archery contest and I had been hunting with my bow throughout rifle season. The contest meant alot to me and I really wanted to bag my buck with my bow! Well, after a mornings hunt, I came home and checked my food plot in my backyard just to have this buck get up and limp away. He was seriously injured and I made the decision to grab my rifle and head back after this deer even though I really wanted to get my buck with my bow. After a long stalk I was able to find the buck bedded down behind a tree and put a shot in him. When I walked up on him, I found that he had a broken front leg (bone sticking through the skin), and the other front leg had one of the hooves blown off!

Well, today I got him back from the taxidermist and I am very happy with him! The taxidermist aged him at 5-1/2 years old and he had a 20-1/8" outside spread! I just figured that I would post pics for everyone who was interested!

Old 04-15-2005, 02:29 PM

Default RE: Got my BUCK back...... PICS!!!!!!

So............. I take it you like bowtech?

Just messing with ya... Congrats again on the deer..... 5 1/2 years? I wouldn't have guessed that. Cool....
Old 04-15-2005, 02:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats on the buck ,that is one heck of a nice deer.
The mount looks awesome as well.

Just to bad you didnt take him with the bow though,it just might have put us over the top
Sorry,just remembered I didnt get one this year with the bow either
Old 04-15-2005, 02:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Great looking mount, thanks for sharing
Old 04-15-2005, 02:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

Congrats again on the buck. Nice job on the mount too.
Old 04-15-2005, 02:54 PM

Thanks again guys, I really appreciate it.

DC, This isn't the original cape from the deer. When I shot this deer, he was laying behind a tree and I had to hold the cross hairs right where the jaw meets the neck and when I shot, he ducked his head and took a bullet in the head (eye) so I had to get a new cape. The other cape was lighter from age, but this cape looks good and I am very pleased! It would be nice to have the original cape, but I can't complain with the job my taxidermist did!
Old 04-15-2005, 03:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats on the buck, he made a fine looking mount. However, I MUST ask, is that seriously a 5 1/2 year old deer??? I was under the impression that you have told us that you have great potential and a decent top end in your area??? Something is seriously wrong with that dude? Do you think he had some sort of condition or injury that prevented him for growing a normal rack? I would love to know the detail sof that deer if he really was older than 2 1/2??? Congrats again on a fine animal.
Old 04-15-2005, 03:21 PM

Cornfed,

I am really not sure what has been happening with this property but this buck was aged at 5-1/2 years old. My bestfriend shot his buck just 50-60 yards from where I shot this one, and it has the same general shape. His buck was aged at 3-1/2 years old. We had been watching his buck since he was a 1-1/2 year old and let him go thinking he was going to get bigger. As a 1-1/2 year old, he was a nice 7 point, as a 2-1/2 year old he looked pretty much the same except he was still a 7 point, and here is what he looked like when he was killed at 3-1/2, he had about a 17" outside spread and net scored right around 100".

We have had 3 years with pretty much no mast crop at all, and last year was terrible for the farms around here, not sure if that would affect the deer this much though.

Here is a still shot from video of a buck that I believe to be the one I killed. This video was shot in same location but 2 years before I killed the buck!

Old 04-15-2005, 03:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

great deer and a great mount, way to go
Old 04-15-2005, 04:05 PM
Boone & Crockett

Nice deer magnet

Quick Reply: Got my BUCK back...... PICS!!!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.