Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Climbing high?

Old 04-12-2005, 11:11 AM

Default Climbing high?

I know its turkey season right now, but I wanted to ask a deer hunting question. If you are 25-30 feet in a tree and the wind is not blowing downward can deer still smell you? I know that sounds like a stupid question but I've heard alot of guys say that if your at least 30 feet high deer cant smell you. The reason I was wondering is that when bowseason starts in October here in Alabama it is usually pretty hot and I sweat at the drop of hat. I'm just kinda concernd about that. Even with sprays on, I still sweat like all get out. Any advice?
Old 04-12-2005, 11:25 AM

Default RE: Climbing high?

Getting higher definitely helps, but you can still be busted. Your scent tends to angle towards the ground, as such, deer in close can't smell you(usually), but once they get further on out, say 30-40yds, they can. I would imagine, the higher you get, the further out from the base of your tree they would have to be to smell you.

Of course, it really only matters if a deer comes in from a good wind and then gets downwind of you. I don't think you could ever get high enough to just forget the wind. You still need to have the deer approaching upwind.
Old 04-12-2005, 12:04 PM
Fork Horn

I think the old saying is, "Thermals push your scent uphill in the mornings and pushes it downhill in the evenings." Well, maybe not a saying, but I've heard it enough times to believe it's true...and I'm sure there is some scientific proof out there on it as well. If you always use the wind to your advantage, you won't have to worry about it as much. You can still get busted, whether your 12 foot up or 30...it's just not as likely the higher you're up in the tree.
Old 04-12-2005, 12:57 PM

Thermals are a big thing down here in the south, I hunt in GA I know what you mean our season starts in Sept It is 85 plus here. I hunt 30 to 35 feet up, there is a scent advantage beeing that high, but you have allot more brush between you and the ground too. I don't always keep the wind in my face, I use crosswinds to. I have never used carbon clothing, in early season I use a Bug Tamer, and walk verry slowly to the tree trying not to sweat, even when I climb I pause to keep from sweaeting. Good luck
Old 04-12-2005, 01:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yes, it proabably helps for the deer scenting you, but there are also drawbacks. Your shooting angle at close in deer becomes extremely steep and your chances of a one lung hit increases. Personally, I will not go higher then 15 feet and I play the wind accordingly.

Oh, and I stay in as much cover as possible.
Old 04-12-2005, 07:41 PM

35 Feet up A tree. My God if you fell you would die of a heart attack before you hit the ground.... (Please see the treestand stories post...) Is going that high instead of 15 feet that much of an advantage for a bowhunter? I might agree that it would be in rifle season, not sure w.the bow. Jeez please be careful up that high..
Old 04-12-2005, 11:36 PM

I think that there is some advantage to being up a little higher. You are out of the line of sight a bit more and your scent has more distance to disapate by the time it reaches the ground. I don't know if it is worth risking your neck to go that extra 10 feet though. I prefer to stay around 20 to 25 feet off the ground. You get much higher and you are cutting alot more as you reach canopy of the trees.
Old 04-13-2005, 08:21 AM

I bowhunt all season Later in the season 30 to 35 Is not bad, because the foulage is off the trees. I use a Summit climber, it comes with a full bodh harness that you can climb with while attached to the tree. I have all the confidense in it. I know accidents happen, if you pull it snug you can't even bend over to tie your shoes much less fall, it is verrrrry safe. Nock on wood, for the past four years I have not been blown at once or had a animal look up at me since hunting that high I don't wear carbon anything because of this. It is a great advantage to have! The angle is bad, but I set up far enough away from the areas I hunt to take away from that angle. All my animals but one when down within sight this year, seven total! You can break you neck at six feet too. Not during the season, give it a try and take a couple shoots with the bow, I bet you will like it!
Old 04-13-2005, 03:01 PM

Where in Alabama are you? I live on the beach in Mississippi and it gets hot here too.
Old 04-13-2005, 07:07 PM

There is not much that I can add beyond the comments already made. I typically hunt at between 18 and 22 feet up,depending upon the way the terrain rises and falls around me.One thing that I get effected by when I go much higher is my depth perception becomes a little distorted.I do you a range finder so it is not that big a deal.I wouldn't hesitate to go higher if I am rifle hunting.