Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Climbing vs. Non-Climbing Treestands >

Climbing vs. Non-Climbing Treestands

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Climbing vs. Non-Climbing Treestands

Old 05-22-2005, 08:12 PM

Default Climbing vs. Non-Climbing Treestands

This may be dumb but since Im new to Bowhunting I cannot figure out the difference between these two stands, can anyone help this has been bugging me for a while.
Old 05-22-2005, 08:23 PM

Default RE: Climbing vs. Non-Climbing Treestands

The climbing stands are portable, meaning you can move from tree to tree with them. You use them to climb up in the tree. The non-climbing, or hang-on stands, are different. Before the season the hunter climbs the tree and attaches it to the tree. You can take them down, but it is a lot of work.
Old 05-23-2005, 05:26 AM

The climbers are nice because they are very portable and can move around from on spot to another much easier, but you need to be sure that the trees in you area while except them or not. Meaning the right diameter and little or no branches. I have both climbers and hang on stands.
Old 05-23-2005, 11:14 AM

That helped. But now I gotta figure out which one to use, how might I be able to tell that?
Old 05-23-2005, 11:18 AM
Typical Buck

where your hunting, is it your land or public lands?
most public lands dont allow you to leave stands,
in such cases you would want portable climbing stands,
if its your land, and you know you will be hunting the same spot, you may want a more permanent fixed stand,
i have both, fixed stands on 2 spots of my property, and climbing stand for when i go into public lands,
Old 05-23-2005, 11:25 AM

It is public land. But the people I know leave their stands there year round.
Old 05-23-2005, 11:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

Icedragon, here's a brief description..... hope this helps:

Ladder Stand - just what it means. It is big heavy bulky permanent type of stand that is one part steel ladder, one part tree stand seat. It averages about 15' in height, and is the most safest, most strongest, tree stand of all. It is designed to be left out/set up, permanently 24/7 on private land. Don't even think of trying to lug it on a public land area and leave it up, as it will get stolen.

Hang-on Stand - like the others have mentioned.... this is a versatile stand that you can hook on any tree anywhere and leave it up for the season. You have to use climbing sticks or a slim climbing ladder (or even some people use screw-in foot pegs into the tree), in order to get into it. From what I have seen, most people hang their stand, then remove the climbing sticks. Then when they want to hunt, they just pack along the climbing sticks, and they're all set. Hang-on's are safe and can be mounted on any tree anywhere, but the lack the mobility of a climber.

Climbing Stand - just what it is... You have to separate platform pieces. Your feet slip into the bottom section, while your arms hold the upper section. You "climb" just like how an inch worm climbs up a tree. Move the bottom up, move the top up, move the bottom up, etc... and you inch your way up the tree. Climbing stands are an absolute MUST on public land hunting areas and are very versatile and manuverable. The only thing about climbers, is you need a perfectly straight tree with no branches for about 15,16....20 feet or so.

Butch A.
Old 05-23-2005, 11:43 AM

Very informative reply, thanks ButchA!
Old 05-23-2005, 12:32 PM
Typical Buck

first, never just go by what others do,
always check your local regs yourself,
in this case your right, you can leave a treestand,

there's good hunting from treestands, be safe and enjoy

there are regs on which and how,

Michigan's regulations state: "In taking an animal, a person shall not do any of the following on publicly-owned lands:

Permanently construct or attach to a tree or other natural feature a scaffold, platform , ladder, steps or any other device to assist in climbing a tree. Also prohibited is the use of any item that penetrates the cambium (outer layer) of the tree for climbing purposes.

Use or occupy a scaffold, raised platform, ladder or step that has been permanently attached to any tree or other natural feature.

Nothing in this section shall prohibit a scaffold or platform temporarily attached to a tree by use of a T-bolt or similar device supplied by the manufacturer at the time the scaffold or platform was purchased.

Use or occupy a scaffold or raised platform without first putting on the scaffold or raised platform the name and address of the user in legible English. this identificaiton must be easily read from the ground.

Use, occupy or place a scaffold, raised platform, ladder, steps or any other device to assist in climbing a tree if the elevated structure is on public lands earlier than September 1 of each year or is not removed by the day following the last day of the latest open season for deer in that area.
Permanent tree stands are unlawful to construct on public lands.
Old 05-23-2005, 04:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

All the previous responses are excellent but some hang on stands can be as mobile as a climber. A good set of climbing sticks from Lone Wolf or the BuckSteps from Summit matched up with either companies hang on stands, is an extremely mobile/lightweight set up. This would be a very good if you live in an area that lacks trees which are suitable for a climber.

Personally, I prefer a climber(Summit Viper is #1 IMO) mainly because I like the extra comfort for those extra hours in the woods. I also use 7 to 10 hang on stands and 1 ladder stand that my son and I hunt from. The hang on stands are placed in areas that are too far for me to tote my climber or the trees in that area were not suitable for a climber.

Quick Reply: Climbing vs. Non-Climbing Treestands

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.