Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 question/gentlemen robinhoods >

question/gentlemen robinhoods

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

question/gentlemen robinhoods

Old 04-10-2005, 01:12 AM

Default question/gentlemen robinhoods

I was wondering your thoughts gentlemen? Do you believe that bow hunter in general should have rights and privliges to hunt were its restricted to rifle hunters per say?
Old 04-10-2005, 03:48 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: question/gentlemen robinhoods

Do you believe that bow hunter in general should have rights and privliges to hunt were its restricted to rifle hunters per say?
I don't know of any such place. You can bowhunt just about any place.
Old 04-10-2005, 04:24 AM
Boone & Crockett

Yes. One such place is up here in Princton NJ. No way could you hunt with a gun in such an area but the bow toting hunter is now allowed to cul the deer heard instead of the hired gun.
Old 04-10-2005, 06:49 AM

In Georgia most of the counties surounding Atlanta is a archery only county, and there are Archery only areas set up by the DNR as well. I believe there is a management use for bowhunting. We can hunt closer to residents without disturbing the general public, more so than guns.
Old 04-10-2005, 07:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

Sure.
Old 04-10-2005, 08:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

In those suburban areas like that, I think it's better to have bowhunters in there than simply have hunting closed altogether. Which is what they'd do if they didn't allow bowhunting.
Old 04-10-2005, 08:50 AM

From a pure safety standpoint; Heck yea.
Everybody misses now and then and now that shotgun and muzzleloader technology has advanced to the point where they can still be very deadly at extended range even they can be too much in certain suburban area's. Not to mention the whole noise issue that gets some burbs upset. My Hoyt and heavy arrow combo is extremly quiet and someone 100 yards away has no chance of knowing that I made a shot. Even a quiet subsonic rimfire will wake the neighbors.
From a sportsmanship standpoint; Heck yea again.
I've hunted deer with long guns, shotguns, muzzleloaders, handguns, and archery gear. After all that I can honestly say that when I gun hunt, it feels like I'm cheating. It's just too easy compared to archery. The need for good woodsmanship skills is so reduced when using a rifle that I wonder why I some people even call it hunting at all. Right now I find it hard to watch the Outdoor channel because all the shows where you have some outdoor writer in a scent locked elevated blind hunting domesticated deer eating enriched deer pellets from a timed feeder while in a high fence enclosure. On top of that these use every concievable hunting aid there is (and turn the entire show into an infomercial when they tell us all about it over and over and over). Why do they need a laser rangefinder when the deer is standing 50 yards away in a marked shooting lane and he's shooting a .300 whizbang ultrashortmag. And why in the world are they wearing camo in that blind. They could wear a pink ballerina outfit up there and the deer still wouldn't know.
Old 04-10-2005, 08:52 AM

Yes,for simple saftey and management purposes in populated areas. But we don't have anyplaces like that here.
Old 04-10-2005, 08:53 AM

In the area where I live,in the catskill mountains 2 hours north of New York City,we have a large population of second homeowners,there has been a lot of building into mountain and wilderness area's.Between that and there being no logging allowed on state land,much of the deer population has become accustomed to living in close proximity to houses,that is where the food is and for the most part that is where they are not pressured as much.These are area's where you couldn't possibly discharge a firearm but where I can legally and successfully bow hunt.
Something that I have also found interesting over the years,when asking for permission to hunt on private land I get a better reception when I indicate that I wish to bow hunt on it,I rifle hunt also and most often when the land owner see's that you are considerate and respectful,there is no problem with rifle hunting there as long as the piece of land is large enough.
Old 04-10-2005, 10:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yes for all the already reason stated above.

Quick Reply: question/gentlemen robinhoods

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.