Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
# Deer seen in a day >

# Deer seen in a day

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

# Deer seen in a day

Old 09-15-2002, 04:55 PM

Default RE: # Deer seen in a day

I was in a club in Georgia once (mainly for bowhunting) and it was not uncommon to see as many as 20 deer in one hunt (morning or evening). There were never many trophy sized deer to come off that property, but there sure were plenty of deer to keep you interested. Does averaged 80 lbs while bucks would go around 100 lbs. Reasons for leaving club? As I matured with the bow, the smaller deer just didnt do it for me anymore, wanted something bigger.

Another club I am currently in, me and a buddy bushhogged a powerline (last year) that seperated the planted pine thickets from the river bottoms. On 2 back to back evenings, I sat in my rifle stand and seen 28 one evening and 36 deer the next evening and all being out in the powerline at once. You can see about 150 yards to one side of that stand and somewhere around 400-450 yards the other way.

GB

Smack 'em where it hurts!
Old 09-15-2002, 05:18 PM
Typical Buck

Five or six a day is a good day here in Southwest Virginia but on a few out of town trips I have seen 20 or more.
SF

Old 09-15-2002, 05:29 PM

30+ here in Mississippi, and I'm not talking about in a field where you can see 500yds. I'm talking all in the woods within 100yds.

Hunt the thickets
Old 09-15-2002, 06:04 PM

Last year in the evening of the first day of bow season in New Jersey,I had 41 deer come past my stand. My nephew,an Army Captain stationed over in Afghanistan now talked me out of shooting any does or small ones,he said wait for the big boy to come in,needless to say I did not kill any deer last year,but look out this year. What does he do last year,he comes home from Fort Bragg and kills a little doe and then breaks my chops. It is killing him this year not being able to do any bow hunting,but we all know--duty comes first.
Old 09-15-2002, 06:06 PM

2 year's ago,first day of rifle.53 doe filed past my position within the first 2 hour's.Seen anouther 11 after noon,so 67 .Pa
Old 09-15-2002, 06:27 PM
Typical Buck

My brother (J) watched 43 deer feeding in a clover patch from 50-80 yards late November. 10 of the bucks were P&Y - and 5 were solid B&C. They were in the open - 150 yards from the road. The neighbor saw them and took off for his house (in his pickup).

J snuck back out, ran to his truck and drove up quickly to scare the deer off (but they just ran into the next pasture and were still visible from the road). He then drove on out to the road.

Next followed a big confrontation with the neighbor who brought his hi-power. He had never seen a deer that big and thought that would warrant him poaching it. J told him if he shot the deer, J would call the sheriff, DNR officer, then for good measure get his bow out and shoot him. Cooler heads prevailed and they both stood there shaking - looking at the deer. (From what I understand he was HUGE)

Sorry - got off track.

Usually throught the course of a day we will see 10-20 in Iowa
Old 09-15-2002, 06:36 PM

Last year I saw 13 on one day, 23 on another(2 different areas). I have driven by a field close to home and have seen 50+ feeding on a couple acres of clover(no hunt zone), this is in Ontario. More often than not I dont see any.

Ive also gun hunted in Michigan and saw 50+ in a couple hours on openning morning, that farmer was so happy he gave a bunch of Canucks permission to hunt, we put a major dent in the local doe population. Couple of the clubs in the neighbourhood werent too happy!
Old 09-15-2002, 07:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Every year after season, the deer on the river-bottom seem to herd up on some ground about 1/2 mile from where I hunt here in Kansas. It's awesome hunting land that nobody has permission to hunt. A couple years ago on 3 different feilds all with 1/4 mile of each other but on the same section, we counted over 125 deer, with under 1/5 of them being bucks.I used to go out there a least a couple times a week to just watch from the road. Seen a lot of B&C bucks just walking around in the open. There are usually 2-3 vehicles out there every evening after they herd up. Luckily my hunting buddy got himself permission to walk it for shed antlers and the first night he found 12 in just 1 1/2 hours of looking. Thats a lot of deer. But usually during rifle season on opening day we drive a lot of creeks and see easily over 100 deer, but don't have enough people in our hunting party so a lot of the big ones get away, year after year.
Visit My Hunting Page