Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Would you shoot a doe with a fawn? >

Would you shoot a doe with a fawn?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Would you shoot a doe with a fawn?

Old 09-13-2002, 09:47 PM

Default RE: Would you shoot a doe with a fawn?

no problemo...
stick her!
meat for the freezer.
the fawn can definitley take care of itself by August
if it can't- it shouldn't...
Only The Strong Survive!
Survival of The Fittest!
Suck it Up Gentlemen- It's Hunting....

CaptJack
Be a better Hunter - Get a better Shot

Edited by - CaptJack on 09/13/2002 22:53:09
Old 09-13-2002, 10:32 PM

i agree with capt. i'm there to put meat in the freezer.i'd shoot the fawn too. i'v done it on many hunting trips.if its brown its down.

tracey moore
Old 09-13-2002, 10:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd taken the doe, why because she was an opportunity to help the overall herd. On top of the fact I enjoy venison, and have my own family to feed. Plus from what I understand, and often seen fawns alone later in the season. Doe will run off their fawns come breeding time, and at that point I believe they are pretty much on their own feeding and caring for themselves anyways.
Old 09-13-2002, 11:09 PM
Typical Buck

I personally have passed on the situation several times, it just did not feel right at the time. But that was a personal call - one each of us must be prepared to make every time we step in the woods. I think there are good reasons for either taking the doe or letting them walk. Bottom line - if you don't think you should release the arrow at that point in time, you probably should not.
Old 09-13-2002, 11:23 PM

It would depend on the size of the fawn. Most fawns are weened by the time hunting season rolls around and are almost as big as mom and a buck will come along to breed with mom and force the fawn away anyway. If thats the case then yes I'd shoot the doe. I have also seen a small red and spotted fawn as late as November, in this case I'd pass on the mom because she's obviously not finished raising junior.
Old 09-14-2002, 12:26 AM

Only if the fawn was out of bow range!!! Just picking. I would if the fawn appeared big enough to fend for itself.
Old 09-14-2002, 12:38 AM

Well there is no way would shoot a doe with her fawn standing there and i never really shot a doe onces i did but did not find her i had a chance to shoot a doe at 25 yards last year draw back the bow and let it down because i did not want her but now sents u can take more deer this year i will shoot that doe but not with a fawn around ...

good luck and keep them in the bull's eye

al in bowmansville ny
Old 09-14-2002, 01:23 AM

Thanks for the responses ... keep em coming. I'll add a little more to the story.

I had another shot opportunity at a smaller doe about 10 minutes later. As I drew the bowstring back, the arrow fell off the rest. LESSON LEARNED - IF YOU LET DOWN ON A SHOT, MAKE SURE THE ARROW IS STILL NOCKED FOR YOUR NEXT SHOT!

The doe was still standing there after the arrow fell to the ground so I reloaded. I was still hunting at the time and had my camo shirt opened so I wouldn't sweat too much. She was angled away from me and my bow string hit my opened shirt sending the arrow to the left about a foot. I had the distance perfect and the arrow flight was great. Hey, that's hunting. No venison but alot of memories that day.
Old 09-14-2002, 03:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would prefer not to, mainly because I don`t want to see the little bugger trying to get mommy to go along. Not sure about everywhere else, but here in PA it is hard to find a doe without a fawn, she might not have the fawn or fawns right next to her, but more than likely she has fawns. By the time october rolls around, they are good to go on their own, anyhow.

NRA,UBP,BASS Member
New Stanton,PA
Old 09-14-2002, 03:43 AM
Fork Horn

Where I live no!! If I lived in an area where you had to shoot a doe before you could shoot a buck, YES!!! There must be a huge over population in your area so I would take her for sure.

Edited by - ILL BUCK on 09/14/2002 04:44:30

Quick Reply: Would you shoot a doe with a fawn?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.