Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Observation on Real Tree Monster Bucks IV >

Observation on Real Tree Monster Bucks IV

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Observation on Real Tree Monster Bucks IV

Old 09-12-2002, 07:26 PM

Default Observation on Real Tree Monster Bucks IV

I am a bow newbie and I have been doing a lot of training with some experienced guys and reading everything here.

All the "spots" I have found or been told to hunt are very tight. I'm hunting in CT and MASS and hunting areas with deer trails but there is no shot outside of 30 yards even possible.

In almost all of the hunts I just watched the guys are hunting right on the edge of fields or fairly wide open areas.

This seems pretty strange to me since no of the areas I have found are even similiar. Actually these real tree spots seem much harder to hunt even though you can see father.

So I was wondering, why are they hunting in the open?
Old 09-12-2002, 08:11 PM

Default RE: Observation on Real Tree Monster Bucks IV

What they are doing is hunting bucks that have little if any pressure on them. Deer under these conditions will walk the edges of fields because they don't associate being in the open with danger, presents an easier shot if one comes by, at least from my perspective. Deer under pressure will stick to the thick stuff. Hunt the thickets, you will see more deer..
Old 09-12-2002, 08:11 PM

Default RE: Observation on Real Tree Monster Bucks IV

because in the areas they hunt its usually a farm country. A lot of Iowa, Ill, WI, Kansas is like that, tree lines and small woods between fields that make deer funnels. If you can find these funnels they are great during the rut when the big boys are sniffing snapper and running amuck! these guys also know enough to stay out of the core bedding area that would be the thick stuff, of in some cases a corn field. It all depends on the surrounding area, every state is different, and within the state its different. The lack of pressure helps too as mentioned. If you are in a high pressure area watch the wind and get close to the core area to catch the bucks as they come out of the bedding area with a little light left. Get to far away from the core and the deer will be still coming after its dark.

Edited by - schmalts on 09/12/2002 21:15:50