Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 please tell me just one negative to crossbows >

please tell me just one negative to crossbows

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

please tell me just one negative to crossbows

Old 04-04-2005, 01:19 PM
Site Bouncer

Default RE: please tell me just one negative to crossbows

More garbage!

Again you guys prove to me that you know nothing about finding statistically significant and factual data that is completely reliable. Good Work!
Hey I can turn this around on you if you like professor. Please show me significant statistical factual data that shows crossbows have a negative effect on the states that already allow them?

I bet you can't.

In fact, the burden of proof should be on you as there are states that already have a combined season with no proven facts that crossbows have had an adverse effect.
Old 04-04-2005, 01:23 PM

ORIGINAL: BigJ12

More garbage!

Again you guys prove to me that you know nothing about finding statistically significant and factual data that is completely reliable. Good Work!
Hey I can turn this around on you if you like professor. Please show me significant statistical factual data that shows crossbows have a negative effect on the states that already allow them?

I bet you can't.

In fact, the burden of proof should be on you as there are states that already have a combined season with no proven facts that crossbows have had an adverse effect.
I've never said I could provide these facts - infact I believe I have already addressed this maybe a dozen pages back.

I'm just playing devils advocate to your B.S. fact finding.
Old 04-04-2005, 01:24 PM

I don't care if there in the woods or used for hunting. In there correct season would be nice!
Why do you think archery ISN'T the correct season ? Bows in bow season - its pretty simple really, and crossbows ARE bows in every traditional sense applied, like it or not. Hell the new compounds don'w even have working limbs ! Literally the new compounds are almost NOT bows by definition !

Do you thing a states DNR office would publish somthing negetive towards there own beliefs, in this case Crossguns.
Why yes, they would. They don't have preferences on weapons - they make rules and regs according to what they thing is best for the deer herds and to maximize hutners recreation. They tweak seasons, bag limits, zone lines - every year they do this, and every year they publish WHY. Example - we lost 2 weeks of archery season last year. Why ? It was argued that people kill pregnant does and bucks with shed antlers. That was passed, and now we have some lobbying to show that only like 350 deer were taking in that last 2 wwek period - a very minute ammount compared to the overall harvest.

If crossbows were a negative to archery season, it'd be very apparent.

Find a mirror, and you will find the harm.
Lets look at that for a moment. I have no problems with crossbows in archery season because I live in a state that has them and KNOW they have no negative effect - you do have a problem with them in archery season for silly, make believe beliefs that have no factual merit - so that makes me the bad guy ? Uh .............. okay ...........

flat feet - the very most silliest of arguments and the truth behind your fears - and that is, you think your choice of equipment/weapon makes you a hunter on a higher ethical ground. You think you're a bowhunter when you have no cluse what a REAL bowhunter is, do you ? Would you like to know ? A real bowhunter is a self bowyer, making his own bows and taking to the woods with no goals really other than to hunt for the Hunt. Antler size is the least thing on his mind. Your compound is a horrid, grotesque blasphemy of what a bow is suppose to be. They are to archery what steroids are to MLB - and you know it and yet you think you're so much better for using a high tech bow ?

Please. You are not better than a crossbow hunter. You are not. Neither am I. A man in the woods crossbow hunting for the 1st time has a HUGE challenge on his hands. Don't belittle the hunters who choose differnt weapons. If you do, perhaps its YOU who needs that mirror ?
Old 04-04-2005, 01:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

I dont like cross bows unless its for the handicapped. They made it legal here in KY and Im not exactly bouncing off the wall. X bows take away what bowhuntings all about; the challenge! Huh? Challenge...ohh yeah thats what huntings about! Woops almost forgot while watching a Scent-Lok commercial just a second ago...[:-] Last June I had surgery on my rotator cuff from an injury I sustained from baseball. My bow (a PSE Mach 12) was set at 65 pounds. I had to take it down all the way to 50 to be able to get it drawn comfortably. I had the 'oppurtunity' to hunt with a cross bow that season but passed.

Whats a negative of X bows? Its a slap in the face to real bowhunters.
Old 04-04-2005, 01:28 PM

bows take away what bowhuntings all about; the challenge!
Put down your compound and try a real bow and you'll know what challenge really is. Truth is ........ you shoot a compound because its EASIER and you're more ACCURATE with it - true or false ?

I predict in the coming years ALL states will aloow crossbows as compound become more and more high tech. P&Y will eventually cave in and allow a crossbow category.

When this happens - and deer hunting is as good as its ever been with more big bucks killed than every before .......... what will ya'll say ?

BTW -

Theres a new bow that doesn't meet what a bow is defined as, does it ?
Old 04-04-2005, 01:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: datamax

bows take away what bowhuntings all about; the challenge!
Put down your compound and try a real bow and you'll know what challenge really is. Truth is ........ you shoot a compound because its EASIER and you're more ACCURATE with it - true or false ?

I predict in the coming years ALL states will aloow crossbows as compound become more and more high tech. P&Y will eventually cave in and allow a crossbow category.

When this happens - and deer hunting is as good as its ever been with more big bucks killed than every before .......... what will ya'll say ?

BTW -

Theres a new bow that doesn't meet what a bow is defined as, does it ?
To answer your first question, yes compounds do make it alot easier to shoot a quality group. But that comes with practice. Let me give you a situation. Me and you go to a shooting range. Theres a .270, my PSE, and your cross bow. We both shoot the .270 3 times at 100 yards and find we both have good 3 inch groups on the target. Now we shoot my bow. I anchor back and aim with my 30 yard pin and shoot 3 arrows within 4 inches of the spot. You shoot my bow under the same circumstances and shoot 3 arrows 3 feet from the target. Not because your a bad archer but because you dont anchor the same as me. Now you shoot your cross bow at 30 yards and put 3 arrows within 3 inches of the circle. I do the same and have similar results. Do you see what Im saying about the challenge thing?
Old 04-04-2005, 01:40 PM
Site Bouncer

They could have just as easily allowed handicapped the use of shotguns and or ML's during archery season, but instead they allowed crossbows .. a different weapon, that happens to be similar to archery equipment in range and type, but can be operated with a single hand allowing for use by the challenged. If it was considered "archery" it would be allowed by all to hunt with.
Again some states have them during gun season and some during archery season. None of that means it is or is not archery, just the particular states decesion.

Here I think you are confused, because you are using the definition you found in an on-line dictionary to be the basis for your "legal definition" argument.
I'm not confused on the definition it came from the Websters Dictionary on my desk (actual book) I would like to hear someone try to discount Websters.

Guys, we have provided various negatives, some actual and some perceived
I must have missed the factual ones. I did hear alot of preceived negatives from people. Some I believe to be truthfull (in their minds) and others just poor excuses.

BigJ .. I'm not sure why you are getting frustrated with us.. it seems that 3 guys trying to wage a battle to change the definition of "archery" and open up longer crossbow hunting opportunities would understand what frustration is all about.
I won't even argue with this one...other than to say I'm not trying to change the definition of archery, it's clearly stated in the dictionary (the paper bound one)

BIGJ12,

I've made this point and I will make it again....

Just b/c a few old men smoke 3 packs a day, eat bacon and eggs for every meal and live to be 100 doesn't mean that everyone else should follow suit. Just b/c 3 states will let you hunt with an xbow does not mean that the same results will apply to all states.

I agree that an in-depth study by game biologists would have to be performed for me to change sides. The study would have to point out that there are no ill effects in MY state from legalizing xbows AND that it would be a beneficial management tool. Otherwise, xbow shooters can kiss my grits. Just b/c someone WANTS to do something, doesn't mean they should be allowed to.
DC,

You are correct it dosen't mean it will have the same results in all states. But with the absence of that study and the absence of any negative effects in the states that do allow crossbows in the archery season, you can't say for sure that it won't...can you?

I also believe that studies are being performed every day in this very subject and I believe you will see more and more states allowing them.
Old 04-04-2005, 01:43 PM

Please. You are not better than a crossbow hunter. You are not. Neither am I. A man in the woods crossbow hunting for the 1st time has a HUGE challenge on his hands. Don't belittle the hunters who choose differnt weapons. If you do, perhaps its YOU who needs that mirror ?
I am not saying, and niether are most here that Crossbow hunters are less thasn Bowhunters. Just not the same, only different.

Well I guess we'll have to sit back and see. History sems to suggest that most states have recently reviewed this option and most aren't changing. As far as P&Y allowing Crossbows, well I'm not so sure that is going to happen.

Well it certainly is getting to that point, but what you kill a deer with doesn't really matter. I happen to think for some gun hunters who will no longer be allowed to use ANY firearm, the crossbow will become their only option, and may raise it's popularity as a hunting weapon. Especially near popluated areas .. but I still think they'll manage it as a firearms type season, seperate than archery. Who knows, I may be wrong. We'll see though. One thing I don't think you have factored is the decision has already been made in many states, like mine. They just got lumped into firearms season. A bum wrap to be sure, and I do think they should have recieved their own season, but they'll be there for a while I'm sure of that.
Old 04-04-2005, 01:49 PM

I'm not confused on the definition it came from the Websters Dictionary on my desk (actual book) I would like to hear someone try to discount Websters.
Well if that were ACTUALLY true, that Webster provides the "legal definition" of archery, then you must be able to use them in Illinois? BigJ... try it, and bring your dictionary with you and explain how the "legal definiton" or archery is rigth there ..

Main Entry: cross·bow
Pronunciation: -"bO
Function: noun
: a weapon for discharging quarrels and stones that consists chiefly of a short bow mounted crosswise near the end of a stock

That is the legal defintion of a crossbow according to you.

Main Entry: ar·chery
Pronunciation: 'är-ch&-rE
1 : the art, practice, or skill of shooting with bow and arrow
2 : an archer's weapons
3 : a body of archers

Here is your legal defintion of archery ... I'm sure your CO will be cool with it. They really sound similar don't they...
Old 04-04-2005, 02:04 PM

To answer your first question, yes compounds do make it alot easier to shoot a quality group. But that comes with practice.
So its practice now that can be used to define what is and isn't archery ?

Let me give you a situation. Me and you go to a shooting range. Theres a .270, my PSE, and your cross bow. We both shoot the .270 3 times at 100 yards and find we both have good 3 inch groups on the target. Now we shoot my bow. I anchor back and aim with my 30 yard pin and shoot 3 arrows within 4 inches of the spot. You shoot my bow under the same circumstances and shoot 3 arrows 3 feet from the target. Not because your a bad archer but because you dont anchor the same as me. Now you shoot your cross bow at 30 yards and put 3 arrows within 3 inches of the circle. I do the same and have similar results. Do you see what Im saying about the challenge thing?
Sure I do, but you neglected one thing. I shoot a recurve. I shoot my recurve 10 shots in the kill zone at 30 yards. You miss the target 8 times and the other two shots you're likely to hit non-vitals on the McKenzie with my recurve. In fact, you can take my recurve home, come back in 2 weeks and likley not be able to shoot good groups at 30 yards.

Also - give me 6 shots with your compound and I'll be ready to take it to the deer woods hunting. They are THAT easy to shoot.

So yeah, I see what you mean by challenge. A crossbow and a compound are really no challenge at all. A recurve ..... now THERE is the challenge, isn't it ?

I am not saying, and niether are most here that Crossbow hunters are less thasn Bowhunters. Just not the same, only different.

Its implied and it has been said. Archery season is YOURS and you don't want to share it with other bows ......... different bows. True ?

Main Entry: quar·rel
Pronunciation: 'kwor(-&)l, 'kwär(-&)l
Etymology: Middle English, from Old French, square-headed arrow, building stone, from (assumed) Vulgar Latin quadrellum, diminutive of Latin quadrum square -- more at QUADRATE
: a square-headed bolt or arrow especially for a crossbow

Main Entry: bow
Pronunciation: 'bO
Etymology: Middle English bowe, from Old English boga; akin to Old English bugan
1 a : something bent into a simple curve b : RAINBOW
2 : a weapon that is made of a strip of flexible material (as wood) with a cord connecting the two ends and holding the strip bent and that is used to propel an arrow

Quick Reply: please tell me just one negative to crossbows

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.