Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 please tell me just one negative to crossbows >

please tell me just one negative to crossbows

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

please tell me just one negative to crossbows

Old 03-21-2005, 02:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: please tell me just one negative to crossbows

ORIGINAL: Charlie P

Their ugly.
LMAO- Thats the best reason I have heard yet.
Old 03-21-2005, 02:19 PM

No, you had it right when you pulled it off the web site, a crossbow can only be used if you can't manage a conventional or compound bow. A disabled person doesn't get the choice of crossbow or archery equipment.
Are you serious ? I mean really, a crossbow I just proved is LEGAL ARCHERY EQUIPMENT in your state of NH. Sure, its only for handicap people, but none the less it IS LEGAL ARCHERY EQUIPMENT.

Do I need to bold and font that ? They are legal archery bows for anyone with a permit to use one.

Ugly ? Lets compare

Ugly is

Ugly is

Neither one of them is this gorgeous work of art, is it ? Puts perspective into what ugly really is, doesn't it ?

Old 03-21-2005, 02:23 PM
Site Bouncer

MA Jay,

Thanks, for the clarification I was not sure about the rest of the country. I know the here in Illinois it is during the archery season and the kills count towards the archery totals.

To me the crossbow is a form of a BOW and not a form of a firearm and belongs in the archery classification, that's just me. I still see no harm if someone wants to use a crossbow or long bow or recurve or compound. It's still shooting some form of an arrow by the use of energy stored in the limbs and propelled by a string. It's pretty simple, the basics never change and that makes it more "bow like" than anything else.
Old 03-21-2005, 02:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

It looks like you and Silent would have to keep using that old school "archery" equipment here.... unless you get a Dr. note and fill out the proper forms to petition to use an even "easier" weapon than a compound.
I used a crossbow once in my life and that was when I had a seperated shoulder in high school. Although I was glad I had that option at the time rather than having to miss a couple of weeks of prime time. Other than that I killed my first deer with a compound 16 years ago on my 14th birthday and I have taken the majority of my deer using a compound. I killed several with guns in my younger days though I rarely hunt with one anymore. My advocacy of crossbows does not come from my using one or wanting to use one because I have no desire to do so. I just don't think my personal preference should dictate everyone elses. A crossbow is a less efficient weapon than a compound IMO so I don't feel like I we are giving crossbow hunters any special advantage. IMO we are merely offering people another chance to be in the woods. I don't want to deny anyone that oppurtunity especially when the distinction between the perofrmance of the 2 weapons is so meniscule.
Old 03-21-2005, 02:53 PM

BigJ12- I agree that a crossbow is more bow like than it is rifle like. I don't think they are evil or bad either.

Datamax .. if a crossbow is
LEGAL ARCHERY EQUIPMENT
here in NH, then how come you and I can't hunt with them during archery season? Because the state makes an exception for disabled people, doesn't make it archery equipment. I am ok with it though, I can't park in the spots closest to the grocery store and I don't get a key to the special elevator here at work either .. those are for truly disabled people, just like crossbow usage in NH during archery season.

Funny .. but you do bring up a VERY good point though, and that is NH does allow guys like you and I to hunt with Crossbows... during the firearm season!!!!
Old 03-21-2005, 03:04 PM

We are not privy to using those legal archery bows because we don't have a piece of paper signed. Kinda like saying restraunts are absolutly 100% no dogs allowed. Oh, well, thats not true, is it ? Seeing eye dogs are allowed.

Kinda like that ........... but you probably think they're dog free anyway, don't you ?
Old 03-21-2005, 03:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Funny .. but you do bring up a VERY good point though, and that is NH does allow guys like you and I to hunt with Crossbows... during the firearm season!!!!
Well according to the regs you can also hunt with a compound during firearm season[:-]
Old 03-21-2005, 03:07 PM
Super Moderator

Whats up with these new recurve bows? Something ain't right. Fancy exotic woods OR machined aluminum risers, optional factory installed stablizer bushings and drilled out for sights? Beefed up limb tips so the new no stretch string materials can be used instead of dacron. That ain't traditional archery Datamax!!! Its too easy. Too many advances in traditional equipment are hurting archery season. Oh yeah......traditional equipment archers using carbon arrows! Oh, the horror!!!
Old 03-21-2005, 03:09 PM

Datamax... well I can agree with that! Crossbows are to handicapped hunters as seeing eye dogs are to the blind. If you are handicapped, you can use a crossbow to hunt during archery season, and if you are blind you can bring a dog into a restaurant.

Of course that means all the healthy people have to use bows to hunt archery and everyone who can see has to leave the dog in the truck!
Old 03-21-2005, 03:13 PM

Silent you are right .. you can hunt with a compound, recurve or long bow during rifle AND muzzleloading season here in NH. But unless you are handicapped, you can only hunt with a crossbow during rifle season.

Quick Reply: please tell me just one negative to crossbows

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.